Question

Honor Student
lbwquilts
Message 1 of 3 (636 Views)

Computer "unable to communicate with printer"

I set up my printer, HP Photosmart 6510 B211a, several weeks ago, and it worked great!  Yesterday, I replaced the black ink cartridge, and now my computer gives me a message that it is "unable to communicate with the printer".  The message suggests that the printer is "unavailable" or "not connected".  However, the printer itself is able to print test pages, and when I conducted a network test, the printer printed a report that said, "No problems found." and everything says, "Pass" or "Excellent" right down the line.  I have no idea what else to try!

Honor Student
lbwquilts
Message 2 of 3 (605 Views)

Re: Computer "unable to communicate with printer"

I was able to get my printer working again by inserting the disc with the HP software on it.  The disk prompted me to re-enter the IP address, and that solved the problem - at least temporarily....  I'm concerned that this may happen again because the software prompts suggested that I may have a "firewall" issue that is preventing my computer from finding the printer through traditional methods.  Any idea on how to fix my firewall?  

Tutor
CarDeeW
Message 3 of 3 (213 Views)

Re: Computer "unable to communicate with printer"

I started having this problem and after trying everything I could think of I reset the ISP-provided modem and the printer started printing again.  The status report said I was connected and the wireless report said the signal was excellent, but it wasn't communicating with the computer. 

CDW
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation