Question

Honor Student
Wildza
Message 1 of 39 (5,648 Views)

Deskjet 3520 - no black print

I have had a Deskjet 3520 for about 4 months and still running on the setup cartridges. A day ago the black print started to fade and eventually there was no black print. I replace the setup black with a new black cartridge that I purchased at the same time as the printer (exp 2014). The black print was still missing after replacement. I did a clean print head and print head quality procedure, but still no go. Eventually I purchaced another new black cartridge and this still did not solve the problem. I have made sure the vent on the cartridges are not blocked and performed all procedures in the tools menu to get the black print to function, but to no avail. What I do see on close inspection is a thick layer of black ink buildup on a spongy pad at the bottom of the printer on the rigth hand side. I assume this pad is there to collect ink that drips down when the cartridges are at rest on the right side of the printer, but this ink looks excessive to me, the pad is totally saturated and the thick ink mass is probably 3 - 4 mm above the pad. If I check the ink on the pad, it looks like only black ink, but I cannot be sure.

The other three color cartridges seem fine.

I have only used genuine HP cartridges in the printer. Where to from here?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 39 (5,638 Views)

Re: Deskjet 3520 - no black print

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve the issue.  If this does not resolve the issue the post here may help, although I do not know the printhead is removable on the Deskjet 3520.

It is normal for there to be ink in the service station area, both color inks and black are "spit" there to keep the nozzles from clogging.  The ink will appear to be all black due to mixing of the color inks.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
alangolf
Message 3 of 39 (4,692 Views)

Bought a new 3520. First one didn't work so a replacement was sent. They didn't won't the faulty one returned. I kept the cartridges but need to replace the black one. Have changed it but the display says you can't use setup cartridges.
HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 4 of 39 (4,686 Views)

Hi alangolf

I understand you had the printer replaced and tried the black cartridge and are getting the error that you can't use setup cartridges.

Are you using the cartridges from the original printer?

If the original printer didn't go through the intializing with the setup cartridges that shipped with the printer then you would not be able to use those cartridges in the replacement printer. Since they are still setup cartridges. After they go through the initial setup then they would have registered as trade cartridges and they could have been used in this replacement printer.

Here is a url for troubleshooting ink cartridges.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bpa00299&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lan...

Hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
alangolf
Message 5 of 39 (4,682 Views)

The replacement printer used the cartridges that came with it and are ok. The cartridges that came with the faulty printer were never used or opened.
HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 6 of 39 (4,675 Views)

Hi alangolf

The cartridges that weren't opened would be setup cartridges and you need trade cartridges.

(trade cartridges are purchased cartridges)

Here is a url explaining what the setup cartridges do.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02068088

Hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 7 of 39 (4,378 Views)

Hi @alangolf 

Just wondering if the reply from @Gemini02 helped solve the issue?

Thanks

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Intern
bobwhit
Message 8 of 39 (3,999 Views)

HP HAS A DESIGN PROBLEM. THE BEST SOUTION IS NOT TO BUY A HP PRINTER

Intern
bobwhit
Message 9 of 39 (3,998 Views)

HP HAS A PROBLEM IN THERE PRINTERS BEST SOLUTION IS NOT TO BUY HP PRINTERS

Intern
bobwhit
Message 10 of 39 (3,997 Views)

THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM SO THEY DO NOT WANT THE OLD ONES BACK YOU WILL HAVE PROBLMS WITH THE NEW ONE IN TIME NO BLACK INK

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation