Question

Top Student
JimNev
Message 1 of 9 (1,015 Views)

Deskjet 940c w/new cartridges won't print even though printer is connected correctly and doesn't jam

See subject for problem

Also...

--I removed the tape protecting the new cartridges before installing.

--I've re-installed those cartridges a couple times but still nothing prints.

--The paper advances and the print head moves back & forth correctly as if printing, but nothing prints.

--No "malfunction" lights show on the printer, nor any messages indicating trouble in the on-screen printer que.

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 2 of 9 (995 Views)

Re: Deskjet 940c w/new cartridges won't print even though printer is connected correctly and doesn't

Hello,

Are you having an issue making a copy also?

Top Student
JimNev
Message 3 of 9 (989 Views)

Re: Deskjet 940c w/new cartridges won't print even though printer is connected correctly and doesn't

"Are you having an issue making a copy also?"

What? I wrote nothing about "making a copy".

Re-read my 'Subject' and my message texts: they're very specific to the problem with my Deskjet 940c printer.

Top Student
JimNev
Message 4 of 9 (970 Views)

HP responded in part: "Are you having an issue making a copy also?"

Re-read my 'Subject' and the text of my message: they're very specific to the problem with my Deskjet 940c printer.

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 5 of 9 (958 Views)

[ Edited ]

"

HP responded in part: "Are you having an issue making a copy also?"

Re-read my 'Subject' and the text of my message: they're very specific to the problem with my Deskjet 940c printer."

I understand the question,  and I know you're having a problem printing because of the ink cartridges. 

You can try a hard reset with the printer. 

Hard Reset:

Take out the toner/cartridges

Unplug the power cord from the printer and wall

Wait 30 sec

Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall (Make sure the printer is plugged into the wall and not a surge protector)

Insert the toner/cartridges back into the printer

Let me know the outcome

Have a great day! :smileyhappy:

Top Student
JimNev
Message 6 of 9 (940 Views)

[ Edited ]

I followed the "hard reset" instructions, then turned the printer on.

But now...

1. The "ink light" on the printer flashes even after turning the printer off again, waiting, and turning it back on. The toner cartridges are new & with tape covers removed. Opening & closing the top makes no difference. 

2. When I try and print,  "The Active Directory Domain Services is unavailable" pops up. Nothing else happens.

Neither of these happened/showed when I first wrote of my problem.

What's next?   

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 7 of 9 (925 Views)

Re: Deskjet 940c w/new cartridges won't print even though printer is connected correctly and doesn't jam

Hi JimNev,

I understand you've been having an issue printing with your Deskjet 940c printer. I'm sorry to hear this has been happening to you but will do my best to help.

I'd like you to click here and follow steps #2 and then #4 through to #7 to inspect and clean the cartridges. I understand you're not getting the error in this document but the steps I've asked you to try should help resolve your issue.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
JimNev
Message 8 of 9 (914 Views)

[ Edited ]

I followed all those steps.

Now everything works like I'd expect when printing: the paper feeds through, the print carriage moves *as if* printing but -- as when I first wrote in -- the paper comes out blank whether the documents are to show black or black & color. Neither side of the paper shows any streak marks whatsoever.

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 9 of 9 (896 Views)

Re: Deskjet 940c w/new cartridges won't print even though printer is connected correctly and doesn't jam

Hi there,

After cleaning the cartridge contacts and we're still not getting anything to print, it could be the cartridges themselves or the contacts within the printer.

This document will walk you through how to run the automatic cleaning on the printer itself, you just have to scroll down to the section titled Cleaning the cartridges using the Front Panel of the HP Deskjet 900c series printer.

If after the cleaning the printer is still producing blank pages, please follow this document to check the warranty on your ink cartridges in the Warranty Ends date locations section. If the cartridges are in warranty, it would be best to call HP Tech Support for your area and inquire about a cartridge replacement with them.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation