Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a D2680 connected by a USB cable to a Toshiba laptop running Win 7. In Devices and Printers, the printer is usually listed as offline. By doing a hard reset and/or pressing the power button I can eventually get the printer online, but when I send it a document to print, nothing happens. If I then press the power button I get a Printer Error message. Sometimes when I reboot my computer a document will print. I haved used several USB cables, with no change. The light for the black cartridge is flashing. I've tried everything I've read from HP (cleaqning the cartridge contacts, restarting Print Spooler Service), but the printer isn't reliable. Sometimes the power button flashes, but nothing ever prints.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Although it seems like you have a few different problems, this sounds more like a paper jam or a carriage jam.

--Blinking Lights--

Would you say the ink light is blinking quickly or slowly?  I have seen printers go "offline" due to a jam of this nature.  You can try cleaning the wheels or searching for a little piece of paper stuck in the gears or otherwise inside the printer.

When you get these series of problems, can you hold down the power button and the cancel button (red X) and at the same time to get the printer to print a test page?

I understand it can print when you reboot the PC, but what about when you perform a hard reset on the printer (unplugging the power cord from the back while it is powered on)?

Answer those questions for me please and I will be happy to help.  

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Although it seems like you have a few different problems, this sounds more like a paper jam or a carriage jam.

--Blinking Lights--

Would you say the ink light is blinking quickly or slowly?  I have seen printers go "offline" due to a jam of this nature.  You can try cleaning the wheels or searching for a little piece of paper stuck in the gears or otherwise inside the printer.

When you get these series of problems, can you hold down the power button and the cancel button (red X) and at the same time to get the printer to print a test page?

I understand it can print when you reboot the PC, but what about when you perform a hard reset on the printer (unplugging the power cord from the back while it is powered on)?

Answer those questions for me please and I will be happy to help.  

HP Recommended
It seems the light is blinking rapidly. Leaning or replacing the cartridge didn't help. Where are the wheels to clean? The printer did print a test page. Doing a hard reset of the printer didn't do anything.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Smiley Happy I believe this document below will show you exactly where the wheels are located.  It suggests water and a link free cloth or a Q-tip but as I have always told my customers, as tedious as this step may seem, it will reveal where a little piece of paper is lodged.  Also, look thoroughly within the printer for other misplaced objects.  

--Paper Jam Error Message--

Carriage jam is almost the same as a paper jam (to this printer's blinking lights errors it is) so make sure the carriage moves freely by opening the ink cartridge door and looking in here for defects.  I have learned a flashlight helps to find any loose material inside that you wouldn't normally notice.  

I really hope this helps you to find what is causing this printer to stop printing.

HP Recommended

I Purchased my HP Printer D2680( Printer Serial  No. {Personal Information Removed}. ) on line. When I received it, it was brand new in the box. My problem is that at times it doesn't want to print. I have checked the cables going to her hard drive. I also make sure that the paper is pushed all the way as far as it will go in the slot inn front of the printer. At times it will work fine and print, but other times you couldn't get it to print unless you shut down the computer hard drive. After doing this the printer starts

to print. This has happen several times. Of course when it fails to print a block will come on telling me to check the paper, the cable going to the printer and make sure that the electric cord is located in a electric ourlet. I have checked all this. I also have plenty of ink.    Any Suggestions ? Thanks, John {Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

Thank for the quick response. I have tried to shut the printer off when this happens, but it want go off unless I pull the plug

out from behind. It then stays off unless I press the putton again. I haven't checked for any paper in the gears, however I really don't think that is the trouble, because it looks like that I would find a tear in the sheet of paper. Thanks

HP Recommended

I just printer one page of your reply and the next page stopped and a notice came up tell in me that the document failed to print. Part of the paper is hangint out of the printer.

HP Recommended

I mhave just opened the door in front and with a flashlight I don't see anything except a small bar that might have some

white looking stuff on it like maybe grease, but I am not sure where the springs are located. The 2 ink cartridges come to the front when I open the door/

HP Recommended

Are you sure it is a mechanical problem?  

How is the printer connected to the computer?  

What is the exact error message?

Answer those questions and I will do my best to assist you.

HP Recommended

My HP Deskjet 2680 Printer worked the first time I connected it to my computer and even printed out 1 page of information and then NOTHING when I needed to print out a very important document. So I deleted it from my hard drive so I could re-install but now when I put the printer CD into my new HP computer the opening page comes up but when it says "click on Install"  to install, there is NO install button, only an exit button so I still do not have a computer. I will NEVER buy another HP printer. And this one is going out the window. What good is it if I can't use it especially when I need it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.