Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm attempting to replace the black ink on my deskjet F4580 with a new HP_60 black ink cartridge; however I receive an error "E" and "!" icon (above the black ink level) on the printer display after the replacement.  Below are the steps I've performed to try to resolve the error message.

1) Removed the plastic tab from the ink cartridge before installation.

2) Ensured the ink cartridge "clicked" upon installing into the carriage.

3) Turned off the power and unplugged the power cable for several minutes in an attempt to reset the printer.

4) Held power button down while pressing the cancel button and releasing both at the same time.  This temporarily reset the ink levels and allows the printer to print a diagnositic page, after the page is printed, the error occurs again.

5) Held the power button down while pressing the cancel button 4 times, then the color ink button once, then released the power button.   This temporarily reset the ink levels and allows the printer to print a diagnositic page, after the page is printed, the error occurs again.

6) Cleaned both the electrical leads of the new ink cartridge and the carriage.

7) I had orginially tried to use an HP_60XL black ink cartridge and received the same error.  I thought this was a compatability issue and returned the cartridge to the store and bought the HP_60, but still having the same issues.

😎 I have reinstalled my old black ink cartridge (HP_60), back into the printer and it works.  The printer shows the minimum black ink level on the indicator and will print a page, but no black ink will show.

I'd appreciate any help or support you can provide.  Thank you! 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi bacole08,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! Smiley Happy I see you are having some troubles after replacing the black ink cartridge on your HP Deskjet F4580. I think the problem is that it is just not able to read the new cartridge and a good cleaning should hopefully fix that.

I would like you to start on Solution five, step four and work your way down with cleaning the cartridges, aligning etc: Troubleshooting Print-Quality Issues

I was able to find this helpful document: Blinking Lights

Please let me know the outcome!

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello HevnLgh,

Thank you for the response.  I have attempted the sugested steps starting with Solution five, step four and worked my way down with cleaning the cartridges, aligning, etc. from the document you hyperlinked.  Unfortunately, performing these steps has failed to resolve my problem.  Below are some additional details for each step.

1) Estimated Ink Levels:   Only the color ink cartridge (shown full) is displayed in the window.  The black ink cartridge is NOT shown.  

2) Print an extended self-test report: The report shows both color and black ink.  The colored ink boxes are filled, however there are no black ink boxes shown only text and one thin black bar.  Please see a scanned copy of the report below:

3) Clean the cartridges using an automated utility:  The automated utility will not run if I have the black ink cartridge inserted.  Nothing happens.  If I remove the black ink cartridge, the cleaning utility will run and a test page is printed.

4) Align the HP product: The alignment function will not run if I have the black ink cartridge inserted.  Nothing happens.  

5) Clean the area around the ink nozzles:  I performed the cleaning as instructed on the document, but the problem still exist.  

Thank you for the suggestions so far.  I'm welcome to try other troubleshooting steps as well.  

HP Recommended

bacole08,

Thank you so much for your continued efforts. I believe this may be a problem with the printhead, I suggest contacting our technical support at 800-474-6836, to see what options they have available to you. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with my HP Deskjet F4580 and have tried evrything that was tried in the thread. Is there a final outcome?

HP Recommended

Massemen,

If you have exhausted all troubleshooting recommendations with no success, please contact our technical support as mentioned in my earlier post.

Thank you for your continued efforts!

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Just joined this forum to express my exasperation with this appauling heap of junk that HP call a printer.

I have exactly the same issues as the others have listed here. Big E message and NOTHING can be done to reset the priter it seems. Really hacked off as I have replaced BOTH cartridges twice to no avail. The combined cost of all this is as much as a new printer!!!! 

What a joke. It's all caused by these greedy giants trying to monitor which cartriges we use and to force customers to buy their over priced ink when they say so. I have had cartridges apart before and found them to be only partially empty when the inicator says that there is no ink left. 

I won't be buying HP again.  This one, whilst not very old and still seemingly in good condition is actually scrap.

PS The plug socket in the back of the machine is highly unreliable and sensitive to touch despite having never been moved about or abused. Just seems very shoddy and temprimentle. 

HP Recommended

I totally agree with everything your post said.  It was like you were describing my printer to the T!!!!

HP Recommended

Yeah, same here. I had to register to +1 your comment, so I did (:

I always refilled my printer with ink by myself, but sometimes I had big prolems printing.

Also WiFi function with Win7 doesn't work well, I always have to re-find it in my wifi , it's very annoying.

When I downloaded the all-in-one Installation, it installs for hours but nothing happens (doesn't finish the installation).

I saw documentaries about brands like HP, Lexmark and others. They showed how they make more money, by selling half full cartridges, programming error messages to get the customer buy new one's, and producing printers with the cheapest electric parts in the world.

They want you to buy a new printer every 2 years, when the warranty is over.

I wasted so much time, just with my printer. Don't ask about all the other rubbish electrics I have to deal with. xD

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.