Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Wait, the thing that LOOKS like a duplexer, according to parts photo online, is NOT a duplexer? OK I have never been able to do a duplex print besides having bought the HP printer because of that option but mostly for the wide format. I would prefer it to duplex but can live with out it. What I DON' T get is why I can't even manually duplex print with either the 7610 or the 6600! I mean hello a $50 printer or less does this! I have always recommened and purchased HP products.  Guess I will have to go elsewhere for a future printer if not other products also.

HP Recommended

This is what "my not a duplexer" looks like. Like you ddm00767, I too wanted the wide format (pics),  my deciding factor on the printer was the duplexing for my office work. I am so disappointed.

Here are a couple of pic's (both sides)  of my "not a duplex unit". The 1st one is what I see looking at the back of the printer the 2nd one is the flip side. Is this what yours looks like?

Facing_Out Inside printer

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention about manually double-siding, try turning off the auto-double side in the printer setup. If that doesn't work maybe the drivers for the Deskjet 9800 will work. The tech installed it on my computer. I think it was on the CD that came with the 7610 printer (I wasn't paying close attention at that point).

I do think if you shut off the auto duplex it might work though. I'd like to hear how you make out.

HP Recommended

This picture shows my duplexer separated into its two parts.

P1110157a.JPG

HP Recommended

Thank you andrew91!

This is the 1st time I have seen a picture of what this duplexer REALLY looks like. The only thing I have seen is the "face plate" side which looks pretty much  like my non-duplexing piece face plate.

I'm sure other people will find these pictures  useful too.

HP Recommended

Happened to visit our local PC World recently (main retailer of PCs and accessories in the UK).

The 7610 was still on display and the shelf ticket still claimed that the printer would do double-sided printing.

BUT now the display model (at least) had the duplexer accessory fitted.

So maybe PC world has responded to complaints about having to purchase an extra accessory to perform the advertised function?

HP Recommended
It is my understanding that the duplex unit (not made or supplied by HP) always fit onto the unit but never worked and was not supported. I have never heard of anyone to get the unit to work. It is advertised, that's all. If anyone finds a unit that actually works, has workable software drivers, and is supported, I and a lot more would be interested.
John
HP Recommended
Hi JTK1980,
If you go to post 52 in this thread I posted pictures of what I thought was the duplex unit but it wasn't. The printer does not come with the duplex unit installed.
Nowhere could I find anything on the box or the paperwork that came with my printer did it say you needed to purchase separate so I contacted HP support first and then was transferred to a manager and they made good on it because the person I spoke with couldn't find anywhere either that said it must be purchased separately.
HP Recommended

The duplex unit that I bought has an HP part number, so presumably it originated from HP.

But whether or not it is supported ... I suppose that depends on what you mean by support;

if you mean a commitment to fix driver bugs in a timely fashion, then - no - I wouldn't say it is supported.

But does anyone provide that kind of support these days?

When the duplex unit is fitted and the driver configured to recognise it, the printer will print double-sided(*).

But the image size is reduced.

The workaround for this issue (suggested to me by HP customer support) is to install the Hp Deskjet 990c driver and use that just for printing (you still use the 7610 driver for copy/scan/fax etc).

This works - the image size is correct when printing double-sided.

But this workaround has these drawbacks:

1. the image size is still reduced (but not as much) when printing double-sided in booklet mode;
  2. the 990c driver doesn't understand A3 paper size.

I found a second workaround for issue 1: use a booklet-formatting program that doesn't use the driver's booklet-formatting facility.

For example: Word 2007 will do this (but Acrobat reader will not).

To format and print a booklet from within Word 2007 without using the 990c driver's booklet-formatting facility:

Page Layout -> Page Setup -> (click on the arrow to display all options)

on the Margins tab, under the Pages heading:

1. in the Multiple Pages drop-down menu: select Book Fold;
  2. in the Sheets Per Booklet drop-down menu: select All

Then, when printing, select double-sided mode in the driver, but not booklet mode.

So, after a lot of messing around, I can make the 7610 printer do most of what I want most of the time; so long as I don't want to print double-sided A3.

(*) Note: if the image printed on the first side of the paper uses a lot of ink, the paper can get a bit soggy.

Unfortunately, the printer doesn't increase the ink-drying time in this case.

Then, when the paper goes through the duplexer, it sometimes gets chewed up.

Using a heaver-weight paper (for example: 90gsm) reduces the risk of this happening.

HP Recommended
Andrew -- Thanks for the info, first good info on this printer.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.