Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My printer (Envy 4500 e-all-in-one) will not print in grayscale or black and white no matter what I do. I have tried all the necessary steps by going into printer properties on the print screen and selecting grayscale and black ink only but I still can not print without color. Is there something else that I should be doing? Is there something wrong with my printer? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there, is this happening in all programs you try and print from? Here's how I was able to print a PDF file to the Envy 4500 without using any colour ink:

File -> Print -> Properties -> Paper/Quality -> Advanced -> Document Options -> Print in Grayscale : Black Ink Only 

Envy_4500_grayscale.JPG

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi there, is this happening in all programs you try and print from? Here's how I was able to print a PDF file to the Envy 4500 without using any colour ink:

File -> Print -> Properties -> Paper/Quality -> Advanced -> Document Options -> Print in Grayscale : Black Ink Only 

Envy_4500_grayscale.JPG

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.
HP Recommended

Another option is to remove the Tricolor supply from the printer itself.  The Envy 4500 supports 'single cartridge' printing mode and can print utilizing only the Black supply.

Good luck!

***I am an HP employee***

The comments above represent myself and do not reflect the opinions of HP.

If my post solved your issue, please click "Accepted Solution" on the post . To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below! Thank you 🙂
HP Recommended
How about on a Mac
HP Recommended

Hi Diggermon,

I understand you're looking to print in grayscale on a Mac using an HP printer. I will certainly do my best to guide you in this.

I have found this image below that should guide you where to click to get to the grayscale option.

GrayscaleMac.jpg

If you're still not able to find the option, I'll need to ask a few questions to check into some other things for you.

1. What model of printer are you using?

2. What version of Mac is on your computer?

3. What program are you trying to print from?

Hope that helps, but if not just get back to me with those answers and I will do my best to help you further!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

same question: how to change to grayscale default. Printing on envy4500, using iPad

HP Recommended

For colored pictures in my "pictures" file I retrieve it through Microsoft Word. When it's in Word I go to FORMAT, select "Picture," highlight the image, select the next "picture" function that pops up, which will bring up color adjustment, from there I select Grayscale, and "OK."

For pictures on a web page I use the Snipping Tool and put it on the page with  Word's Edit-Paste function.

HP Recommended

I'm using Mac OSX 10.11.5 and in preview it doesn't show the options the same as on the Mac example here.  In older versions I did see that, but not now. I've looked everywhere and nothing comes up to only use Greyscale or only the Black cartridge. Now I'm getting a subtle black with some yellow mixed in and it looks horrible.   Even with the "Black & White" selected it still wants to print color.

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.13.17 PM.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.