Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I no longer have this printer so all messages for Grandma C regarding this subject are no longer necessary. GrandmaC

GrandmaC
HP Recommended

Well, it's *NOT* solved, at least for me.

Tried *everything* in here, HP install Wizard, direct drivers installation, uninstall, reinstall, about a hundred times.
Nothing.

What lasts is:

-Printing from some programs (eg, photoshop) it works.

-Printing from Word, does the usual ghost appearance in the spool then nothing.

-Printing from Excel, it simply says there's a problem with the printer.

-Going in the printer properties and trying to print a test page it says there's an error and it can't print.

-HP Print and Scan Doctor says everythiing is fine and then prints the page.

Bought the printer todayt and i feel pretty s*****d. To say the least. 😞

Tried on Windows 7, both 32 and 64 bit, both with USB and Wifi.

HP Recommended
Hi dhdstsw,
I'm facing the same issue now, tried many times uninstalled and reinstalled of Envy 4500 printer driver SW from original CD with both USB and Wifi still can't print a test page on Windows 7 64bit?

Tried HP install Wizard with same error but HP Print and Scan doctor said OK printed a test page that is it!

Cheked CP admin Toold Services in Spool printer folder found empty when a test page sent?

HP support desk said Envy 4500 is Ok compatible with Windows 7 and advised me to contact Microsoft Support, but asked me to sign up premium services for advance tech support or revert to Acer for OEM Windows 7 reload...

I'm helpless now just for a new purchased printer and only can ENVY if I could have chosen another brand?

Just hope anyone here can help to offer some good solution to this problem!
HP Recommended

I had a similar problem,  ENVY 4500 would print wirelessly just fine, my iPads, MacBook, and Windows 7 laptop.

But printing via the USB cable to my Windows 7 desktop would not print.

These were my symptoms:

1. Printing from a browser - Pop-up message stating a Print error occurred.

2. Printing from Notepad - Pop-up message stating Incorrect parameter

3. Printing from Adobe Reader - would appear to print, the print queue would show something going in to be printed, but would immediately disappear and nothing would print.

I tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor, and ran the 'Fix Printing' several times, both the Test Print and the Internal Test Print would print correctly.

But when I tried to print again from my desktop via the USB cable, I would receive the same 3 symptoms as stated above.

Then for something else to try, I tried to scan something via the HP Scan app on my desktop, but it said it could not communicate with the ENVY 4500 scanner.

So I tried the 'Fix Scanning' in the HP Print and Scan Doctor, when that finished running, both printing and scanning worked from my Windows 7 Desktop.

So there must be something additional that the 'Fix Scanning' does that the 'Fix Printing' does not.

Try running 'Fix Scanning', it fixed my issue, maybe it will fix yours.

Regards.....Pete

HP Recommended

A little more information....it is not fixed as I thought it might be.....

I can successfully print a from my Windows 7 desktop via the USB with:

• Adobe Reader - PDF document
  • LibreOffice - Document
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer - Web Page
  • Google Chrome - Web Page

I still cannot print with the following:

• HP ENVY 4500 Printer Properties 'Print Test Page' - error messge: "Test page failed to print.  Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assisance"
  • Printing from Notepad - error message: "The parameter is incorrect"
  • Printing from Wordpad - it appears to print, I can see the document go into the print queue, but it immediately disappears and nothing prints.
  • Printing from OpenOffice - it appears to print, I can see the document go into the print queue, but it immediately disappears and nothing prints.
  • Firefox - error message: "An error occurred while printing"
  • Microsoft Word - it appears to print, I can see the document go into the print queue, but it immediately disappears and nothing prints.

Anything that I cannot print on the ENVY 4500 printer, I am successful in printing from my Windows 7 desktop to any other printer that I have attached via the USB cable.  For example, I also have a Canon ip4920 attached to the desktop via a USB cable, no issues printing anything from any app at all.

Regards.....Pete

HP Recommended

Hp envy 4500 produces blank pages

HP Recommended

Can you share the result for making your printer put the ink on the page?  My printer engages and sounds like it's printing, but puts out ablank page.  I have run the alignment and it prints fine.  but it won't print anything else.  I put in new ink - that is not the problem.  I see someone else has a solution.  I would love to know it.  Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Windows 10, usb connection repeatedly turns off local printer spool.  Just got printer and does not recognize usb connection when attempting to run install wizard from accompanying dvd.  When I select usb connection choice the installation will not go forward, as if it doesn't recognize connection.  Then I select install later and it goes to finish.  If I disconnect usb, system makes standard noise for disconnection so system makes connection.

Start printer spool again, try to print and system turns off printer spool again.  Initially, I was not even getting a printer dialogue box.  Im getting dialogue box but still empty queue and nothing prints.

Used to do this stuff for a living.

Any help will be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Feeling the same way.  HP used to be a good brand.  HP step up and give us a solution that works or recall these lemons!

HP Recommended

With HP Envy drivers installed:

1) From start Menu go on Deviced and Printers
2) Right click on your envy printer

3) select "printer properties"

4) select "advanced" tab

5) on the "driver" select "HP Officejet Pro K550 Series".

6) click "ok" until all config windows are closed.

Now the printer on the device list changed it's name.

But guess what? Now it's printing. Always.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.