Question

Student
chacora
Message 1 of 25 (7,196 Views)

Error message "hp officejet is in error state"

I have spent days trying to troubleshoot why I am getting the error message "hp officejetv40 is in error state". I have recently purchased a new laptop with windows 8. My printer WAS printing everything except pdf files. It would start to print and then I would recieve an error message. I have made sure the drivers, any updates and uninstalled and reinstalled both the adobe and the printer, thinking maybe it just wasn't installed properly??? Now, when I try to print, I keep receiving the error message "hp officejet v40 is in error state??? I have no idea where to go from here. Seeing I was able to print somewhat before, tells me my printer is compatable, right?

Please help, someone!!! Thank you.

Student
AnnHustis
Message 2 of 25 (7,163 Views)

Re: Error message "hp officejet is in error state"

Just wanted to let you know that I have the exact same problem with my HP Officejet 6600 printer.  I am also running Windows 8. 

The printer was printing wirelessly until about 2 weeks ago.  Then I could print only with a USB cable. And now not at all.

I attached another HP printer to my computer (HP photosmart) and it printed via USB without an issue.

My HP Officejet 6600 is less than 2 months old.  I will take it back to the store and get a different one today.

Life is too short to spend any more than 4 hours troubleshooting a printer!

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 3 of 25 (7,153 Views)

I really hope I can help you get your printer out of an errored state.  And AnnHustis, you are right, life is too short, so hopefully I can do this quickly.  It sounds like a problem with the Print Spooler on the computer moreso than a mechanical state the printer is in.

@chacora - Do you see this error message on your computer or on the printer?  Can you get the printer to print anything at all from its front panel (meaning not from the computer)?

@AnnHustis - I will be more than happy to help you if you still have this printer.  

See the video below on how to restart the Print Spooler in Windows 8 and let me know if that helps you or not.

--How To Restart the Print Spooler--

If that doesn't work, how did you install the printer software?  Did you use the disc that came with the printer, the website, or the HP Printer Install Wizard?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
SableS
Message 4 of 25 (6,841 Views)

1) Why do I have to watch a video? Can't I simply get written instructions?

2) Still did not work.

3) The printer was working just fine right up until I tried canceling a print job.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 5 of 25 (6,826 Views)

Where do you see this error message (on the printer or the computer)?  If you see it on the computer, try uninstalling and reinstalling the software or use the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  Plus, you don't have to watch the video because you can find information on restarting the print spooler all over the internet (some people prefer videos and that is why I posted it).

If you see the error message on the printer, remove the power cord from the back of the printer while it is powered on then remove the cord from the wall outlet, seperate the cord from the module in the middle and wait one minute.  Then put the cord back together, plug it into the wall first, then into the back of the computer to reset the printer via a hard reset while performing a power drain simultaneously.  I hope that helps!

Student
elwino
Message 6 of 25 (6,476 Views)

computer says printer is in error mode

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 7 of 25 (6,472 Views)

[ Edited ]

1.  What model of printer do you have?

2.  What is the exact error message?

3.  What were you doing when this happened (making a copy, printing from computer, installation, etc)?

Please answer those questions so I can be of better assistance.

Tutor
Derek85
Message 8 of 25 (5,327 Views)

Hi VisionAiry,  I also have gotten this message in a similar situation.  Can you take a look at my post and see if you can help?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/Officejet-6600-fails-to-print-over-wire...

Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 9 of 25 (5,318 Views)

[ Edited ]

I see....I gave it a quick look over and have made note to really look at it later but I have 8.1 and run into so many troubles installing drivers. So what I do usually is go to Devices and Printers and select Add a printer then TCP/IP and type in the IP address so I can at least print. 

I will post on your other link in a bit (maybe today or tomorrow since I"m at work now) but are you at least able to print?  

Tutor
Derek85
Message 10 of 25 (5,314 Views)

Thanks VisionAiry,

I can't print on demand, but if I restart everything i can usually get a few things to print so it's not the end of the world right now, but I do need to get it fixed so when I do have something critial at my office that needs printing i can do it without hassle.

The printer already shows up in windows, but i went ahead and use the "add a printer" to add it again and use "other drivers".  will play with that and see if i can get any farther.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation