Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP REFUSED TO HELP ME IN ANY MANNER. I ENDED UP BUYING A NEW 8600. NOT 6 DAYS AFTER HAVING IT. I WAS HAVING ISSUES WITH THE INK CARTRIDGES. I HAD TO RMV THEM AND REINSTALL ... OF COURSE THE PRINTER WOULDNT ACCEPT THEM AGAIN BC THEY WERE SET UP CARTRIDGES. IM SO PISSED OFF. BRAND THE CARTRIDGES AND THEY ARE WASTED, BRAND NEW AND FULL OF INK. 

HP Recommended

Ok, tried several times and the Support menu will not come up.  I had this iisue when I purchased this thing brand new.  Really, are these 8600s really that bad, and hard to use?  Help please, I have a new print head and cartridges and can"t get the hard reset done!  MENU WILL NOT COME UP!

HP Recommended

WHEN YOU TURN THE PRINTER ON KEEP HITTING THE BACK BUTTON ITS AN INVISIBLE BUTTON ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE CONTROL PANEL. ONCE THE MENU COMES UP YOU CAN NAVIGATE THRU THE MENU TO THE RESET. THERE YOU CAN DO A PARTIAL OR FULL RESET.

HP Recommended

Hi there owners of HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.

To get access to the support menu, you do not need to turn the printer off and on again.  To locate the return /back arrow, press the right arrow on the right hand side of the touch screen.  This will show the return/back arrow (like an anti-clockwise arrow).  Asyou go back to the home menu, this return/back arrow is no longer visible.  Just slkowly press the spot where the return/back arrow was showing 4 times.  You should be able now to see the support menu.

Beware, the full factory reset seems to require a new set of setup cartridges for the printer to work again.  If this is not the case, please let me know how to bypass the setup screens.

Thanks

HP Recommended

YES IN A FULL RESET MFG REQUIRES NEW CARTRIDGES WILL NOT ACCEPT SETUP CARTRIDGES EVEN IF BRAND NEW MACHINE ... ANSWER GET HP TO SEND YOU NEW UNIT !!  I WAS TIRED OF THE BS FROM HP .. STILL AM .....

HP Recommended

SORRY ... EVEN IN A PARTIAL RESET NEW CARTRIDGES ARE REQUIRED .. THERE GOES YOUR BRAND NEW "SETUP" CARDRIDGES .. YES YOU MUST GO OUT AND PAY A FORTUNE FOR NEW OEM RETAIL CARTRIDGES FOR THIS TO NOW WORK !! YOU WOULD THINK A RESET WHETHER PARTIAL OR FULL WOULD BE JUST TAT ---- BUT ITS OBVIOUSLY NOT BECAUSE THE MACHINE IS STILL HOLDING MEMORY IF IT WAS ACTUALLY A RESET IT WOULD ACTUALLY TAKE SEUP CARTRIDGES ... ITS A SCAM AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. ESPECIALLY SINCE I WAS WORKING ON A BRAND NEW MACHINE OUT OF THE BOX.

THE ONLY OTHER ANSWER IS IF YOUR UNIT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY IS TO HAVE HP REPLACE THE PRINTHEAD. ITS ACTUALLY THE PRINTHEAD THATS THE CULPRIT IN HOLDING THE MEMORY. THEY SENT ME NEW PRINTHEADS WITH NEW SETUP CARTRDGES IN TRYING TO FIX MY ISSUES. BUT IT DIDNT FIX IT.

EVENTUALLY THEY ENDED UP REPLACING MY PRINTER TO THE NEW MODEL UPGRADED .... LOL STILL HAD ISSUES W THE NEW SENT ME OUT 3 BEFORE I HAD A GOOD ONE !!

SO TO FINALIZE 

1) BUY NEW OEM RETAIL CARTRIDGES IF YOU DO A MFG RESET PARTIAL OR FULL

2) BUY A NEW PRINTHEAD NEW OR USED IF OUT OF WARRANTY WILL DO THE TRICK TO USE UR NEW/OLD SETUP CARTRIDGES

3) IF UNDER WARRANTY HAVE HP SEND YOU OUT A NEW PRINTHEAD OR A NEW PRINTER

HP Recommended

Hi there

There is a way to by-pass all that crap but the warranty may be void but then again how are they going to know.Any way if you are mechaniclly inclined so to speak take the  cartridges out of   "cartridge holder" and then take the  cartridge holder     out of the machine  and then undo the circut board on the back becareful of the springs that you don't loose them then you have 4 circuts there that the springs were conecting to so you take a very small piece of wire and cross over the 2 terminals where each set of springs woud be 4 of these to do and with thewire you are going to jump the 2 term. with tape on there,when all is done put itback to gether and it will blink off and on numer. times until itevently stops and will be ready to print   by the way this stuff is all on different sites when it comes to refilling and so on

good luck 

thanks Frank

HP Recommended

Does this bypass the setup and without needing the setup cartridges? Thanks!

HP Recommended
I have been attempting to reset my password on the 8600 OfficeJet. When I unplugged the printer when moving, the printer password was not recognized on my iPhone any longer. The password is not appearing on my laptop.. I have attempted to restore factory defaults to no avail.... What else can I try??? I need to reset password so I can set up the printer to print wirelessly from my phone. Please help!
HP Recommended
After 5 hours on the phone with 3 different hp techs in 3 different departments, I asked my IT guy to look into it when he was there upgrading a router. He googled it, found the reset to factory default procedure and had it up and running without ink issues under 10 minutes including the search.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.