Question

Honor Student
pethornton6
Message 1 of 11 (3,042 Views)

HP 6510 Won't Print Using The Photo Tray

My hp 6510 won't copy my pictures using the photo tray. It wants to print on regular paper. I didn't have this problem before. I've checked all of my settings & I still get an error telling me to load the paper tray.

Associate Professor
Arkle1
Message 2 of 11 (3,037 Views)

Re: HP 6510 Won't Print Using The Photo Tray

Hi pethornton6, you mention print in the subject line of your post and then you mention copy in the body text. Can you clarify is it when you are trying to copy using the printers copier or print from your PC/laptop/mobile device that its not pulling from the photo tray?

If you are trying to make copies using photo paper from the photo tray you will need to go into the Copy settings on the printers front panel, scroll down until you see the Paper Size and set it to 10 x 15 cm.

Hope this helps solve your problem. 

If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button on the left (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
pethornton6
Message 3 of 11 (3,034 Views)

The pictures I want to make copies of are already stored on my computer. I made duplicates of them before but now it seems something has changed!  All the info is correct when this one page come up..I show my HP model, the size of picture I want (5x7) & the type of paper being used. It will still print on regular comuter paper & not the phot paper (I am using HP photo paper, as well as HP ink). Can't understand why it copied the pictures before & now it won't! I even checked for updates & still did not work. I have only made copies of pictures that are already stored on my laptop.  Please help!!!

Thank you,

Pat Thornton

Associate Professor
Arkle1
Message 4 of 11 (3,027 Views)

Hi Pat, I tried printing a photo (5 x 7 in) on my own 6510 from my computer and saw the same outcome as you described :smileyfrustrated:

Then I took a look at the photo tray on the printer and saw  "4 x 6 in and 10 x 15cm" on it. So I went back to my printer properties and the only thing I changed was the paper size, back to 4 x 6 in from 5 x 7 in, and it worked.

Try this and see how you get on.

If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button on the left (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
pethornton6
Message 5 of 11 (3,024 Views)

But the only thing is...I want my pictures to print in the 5x7 size.  If I switch to the  4x6, I would have to re-do most of my album as I like my pictures all the same size...besides, the photo pages I have are for 5x7 inserts only. Is there any other solution? I was printing out photos before using the 5x7 size.

Thank you,

Pat Thornton

Honor Student
pethornton6
Message 6 of 11 (3,018 Views)

Still having trouble trying to print my 5x7 pictures. I have made several of this size but quit for awhile. Came back to do some more & the printer won't let me. I don't want my pictures on 4x6. I'm choosing the right size of picture, the type of paper, etc. from the drop-down menu...still  can't get this printer to do the 5x7 pictures. If I could print pictures off from my computer using the 5x7 size in the past, I still should be able to do it now. Just can't figure out what is going on with this printer!

Arkle1 wrote

Hi Pat, I tried printing a photo (5 x 7 in) on my own 6510 from my computer and saw the same outcome as you described :smileyfrustrated:

Then I took a look at the photo tray on the printer and saw  "4 x 6 in and 10 x 15cm" on it. So I went back to my printer properties and the only thing I changed was the paper size, back to 4 x 6 in from 5 x 7 in, and it worked.

Try this and see how you get on.

Associate Professor
Arkle1
Message 7 of 11 (3,003 Views)

Hi Pat, have you been able to print your 5x7 in photos yet? I was able to do it with these settings :

Paper Size = 5x7in

Paper Type = HP Advanced Photo Papers

Paper Source = Photo Tray (this setting is in Options -> Printer Properties)

and crucially that you have 5x7in photo media loaded in your photo tray with the reverse side facing up towards you. If the paper is loaded the opposite way the sensor that detects the paper type won't be able to read that it is photo media and printing will default to the plain paper tray.

Hope this information helps solve your problem.

6510 5x7 settingsJPG.JPG

I am an HP employee.
Tutor
CarDeeW
Message 8 of 11 (2,392 Views)

I'm having the same trouble trying to print a jpeg stored on my computer.  I'm trying to print 4x6 on hp 4x6 photo paper.  It prints 4x6 size on 8x10 regular paper instead.  If I take the regular paper out it stops and sends the out of paper message.  I've tried removing the 4x6 paper and reinstalling it. 

CDW
Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 11 (2,388 Views)

HP 6510 Won't Print Using The Photo Tray

Hello CarDeeW

Did you set the Paper Source to Photo Tray in the Printer Properties?
What paper type are you choosing?

Also, what operating system are you using and how is the printer connected? Does the problem happen if you try to print from another computer? This can help isolate the problem.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Tutor
CarDeeW
Message 10 of 11 (2,386 Views)

I just spent a l-o-n-g time with an HP tech person and finally got my 6510 to print to photo tray. 

Try this: on printer display click on the wrench at top >preferences > click down arrow > External Device Printing > Prompt for Tray.  close and try printing your photo. 

If that doesn't work, call 1-800-474-6836

CDW
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation