Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I have an hp AIO Color Laser Jet 2840 printer, love it, worked fine all these years without any issues but now i am getting this 54.2 error, replced all the cartridges still no luck, any idea?

Thnaks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
That is a carousel error. Could be a number of issues starting with the actual carousel. First thing I would do is remove all the cartridges, turn the printer off and then back on. Does it come to the message to install the cartridges or do you get the error. If you get the error most likely the carousel is bad and needs replacing which these days is not economical. If it asks for the cartridges and you get the error after installing one or more, then the issue is probably the alignment of the carousel gears. If that is the case use google to find the service manual for this printer, download it and look in the index under carousel for aligning gears and perform the procedure and it may work for you.
HP Recommended

So you have a HP 2840 all in one printer and you are getting a 54.2 Error?   Ok,  I have 5 of these printers in my offices and here's what I do when this happens.... purge all of the cartridges from the printer with the problem.  check the WHITE GEAR on the end of each cartridge. You will notice that one of the cartridges will have a STUCK OR VERY DIFFICULT TO TURN WHITE GEAR.  Get rid of that cartridge and replace it with another cartridge that does not have a stuck or difficult to turn Gear.    Problem Solved.  $5 please...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.