Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I can hear it printing, but the paper is blank when it's finished. I downloaded and ran the latest version of HP Print and Scan Dr., when it's finished,all green checks say every thing is good to go, but the test print comes out blank,. Then I did a Ink cartridge clean and purge several times, still no print...I'm running Windows 7, 32bit.. Help??? Thanks  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Charles_mgna,

Are you using new OEM or refurbished cartridges?

What happens when you make a standalone copy from the printer?

Clean the cartridge contacts

If the cartridge contacts are dirty, a cartridge error message might appear. Cleaning the contacts might help.
Collect the following items before cleaning the cartridge contacts:
  • Clean, distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available. Tap water can contain contaminants that are damaging to the cartridge.
  • Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that does not stick to the cartridges (coffee filters work well).
  • Sheets of paper or a paper towel to place the cartridges on during cleaning.
Follow these steps to clean the cartridge contacts:
  1. Open the cartridge access door and wait until the carriage stops moving.
  2. Remove the cartridges and place them on a piece of paper with the nozzle plates facing up.
    NOTE:Clean the copper-colored electrical contacts quickly so that the cartridges are not outside of the product for more than 30 minutes. If the cartridge is outside of the product for too long, the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.
  3. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product, and then unplug the power cord.
  4. Using a slightly damp cotton swab, clean the copper-colored electrical contacts.
    CAUTION:Do not clean the ink nozzles. Doing so might damage the cartridge.
    Figure 7: Cartridge
    View of the cartridge with area to be  cleaned.
    1 - Copper-colored contacts
    2 - Ink nozzles (do not clean)
  5. Dry the cleaned area using one of two methods:

6. Allow the cartridge to sit for 10 minutes.
    Or
  7. Use a clean cotton swab to dry the area.
  8. Reinstall the cartridges into the product, and then gently close the cartridge door.
    Figure 8: Closing the cartridge door
    View of the cartridge door being closed.
  9. Plug the power cord into the rear of the product, and then press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  10. Try to print a page.
I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Here is a link for the problem you are having with the blank sheets printing. this page lets you choose your OS and then from there will give you step by steps instructions for the computer operating system you chose.  I hope this helps you out.  Here is that link :http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01892627

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

I'm glad to see everyone here is as frustrated as I am with this F4280. Mine spits out a blank page too. I've also tried everything. The troubleshooting tools say everything is fine but...it's not working. I didn't get any help to fix my printing problem here but It did make me laugh when I saw everyone is having the same problems. I'm ready to run mine over with my car. Anybody else wanna join me?

HP Recommended

Hi Charles_mgna,

Are you using new OEM or refurbished cartridges?

What happens when you make a standalone copy from the printer?

Clean the cartridge contacts

If the cartridge contacts are dirty, a cartridge error message might appear. Cleaning the contacts might help.
Collect the following items before cleaning the cartridge contacts:
  • Clean, distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available. Tap water can contain contaminants that are damaging to the cartridge.
  • Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that does not stick to the cartridges (coffee filters work well).
  • Sheets of paper or a paper towel to place the cartridges on during cleaning.
Follow these steps to clean the cartridge contacts:
  1. Open the cartridge access door and wait until the carriage stops moving.
  2. Remove the cartridges and place them on a piece of paper with the nozzle plates facing up.
    NOTE:Clean the copper-colored electrical contacts quickly so that the cartridges are not outside of the product for more than 30 minutes. If the cartridge is outside of the product for too long, the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.
  3. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product, and then unplug the power cord.
  4. Using a slightly damp cotton swab, clean the copper-colored electrical contacts.
    CAUTION:Do not clean the ink nozzles. Doing so might damage the cartridge.
    Figure 7: Cartridge
    View of the cartridge with area to be  cleaned.
    1 - Copper-colored contacts
    2 - Ink nozzles (do not clean)
  5. Dry the cleaned area using one of two methods:

6. Allow the cartridge to sit for 10 minutes.
    Or
  7. Use a clean cotton swab to dry the area.
  8. Reinstall the cartridges into the product, and then gently close the cartridge door.
    Figure 8: Closing the cartridge door
    View of the cartridge door being closed.
  9. Plug the power cord into the rear of the product, and then press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  10. Try to print a page.
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Here I am again,..still trying to fix my F4280 Deskjet.

Today I completely uninstalled it, then reinstalled it.

I went through all the troubleshooting steps ( 9 or ten ) and everything was fine. It printed out a test page and the connections etc. are all in order.

I did a disk clean up and everything else listed in the troubleshooting steps.

To answer your question, ...I am using NEW cartridges that are clean and seem to work for a Test page.

Unfortunately when I try to print a document in my notebook or anything in my computer it still spits out a blank page. It sounds like it's printing but a blank page comes out.

The most frustrating thing is, it used to print just fine but now it just won't print.

HP Recommended
Hi halbazarr,

Sounds like you have defective print cartridges in the printer.

Are you using new OEM or Refurbished cartridges in this printer?

How long have the cartridges been installed?

Try installing new cartridges, and let me know if you are able to print again?
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
Hi Charles_mgna,

What application programs are you having this issue?

What happens when you print from notepad or wordpad?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

After many weeks of frustration with my HP F4280 printer I finally got the problem resolved.

I went out and bought a new Brother Lazer printer. It works great!  No more HP products for me.

HP Recommended

I was sadly amused that the only solution was to buy brand new ink cartridges.  All my brand new OEM cartridges are new and full.  My printer status report printed just fine and reported that all ink cartridges were in good order and within the warranty period.  Then I printed the Print quality report and found that the magenta, cyan were not performing.  Photo black printed brown.  The warranties all expire in 2014 and 2015.  The earliest warranty to expire is 11/26/14 .What does the warranty do for me?  My printer is a Photosmart D7560 but is doing the same thing as the subject printer above.  I went thru the suggested "cleaning" procedure with the cotton swabs and distilled water prior to all the printer status reports.  

After all these reports and such, I still am the proud owner of blank "prints".

Even worse the final solution was to buy a new printer of a different brand!  Not good for your reputation. 

HP Recommended

SAME PROBLEM AS BELOW. CHECKED ALL OBVIOUS SOLUTIONS. PRINTER STILL SPITTING OUT BLANK PAPER.  QUALITY TEST PRINTS PERFECTLY

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.