Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Sjaack,

It work for me 🙂

This is the workaround. Thanks !

Now it's up to HP to fix there driver!!!!

Regards,

MiC

HP Recommended

hi i would love to know how you installed the driver when i can't find it anywhere, i'm on windows 8.1 x64, only thing i've found is automatic software install which automatically tries to install drivers for the orginal printer sometimes it's useful to include where you get a driver from and direct people cause this is so frustrating i'm trying to print my university assignment and i'm wasting paper and ink stop starting someone for gods sake please help me.

HP Recommended
Yes, now i can use my printer. Just use an other driver. HP please fix the original driver.
HP Recommended
Bozuk, do you mean the original driver?
HP Recommended

No i've just updated the driver and getting same issue, printing a few pages from word doc and stopping and flashing error but not staying on my screen, dropping from the printing queue all together, i'm trying to find deskjet 6980 driver that someone mention on this post earlier as all i find is HP software that automatically finds my printer and won't let me choose deskjet 6980 driver which means i can't install that driver as a patch between them like the other poster stated. what would be very helpful is if someone could direct me to a website where deskjet 6980 driver actually is and i mean basic driver no software install. then i can install that driver.

HP Recommended

Had the same problem with mine, it wouldn't print some pdfs, or would partially print them so that I wasted the paper and ink but still did not get the document printed. I tried changing drivers but that did not work for me, so that is not a perfect workaround and may not solve your problem (OP or anyone who finds this thread later).

Here is what sort of worked for me:

I tried printing from Internet Explorer as someone else suggested. It printed out one of my problem pdfs, but only one and still refused to print others. So depending on your case, this might work for you, but again is not a perfect workaround.

Here is what definitely worked for me and should theoretically work for everyone:

Print from within Adobe. At the top of the box that opens, there are two buttons to the right, "Properties" and "Advanced." Click Advanced. in the new box that opens, toward the bottom there is a box that says "print as image," check that. Save those settings, get back to the main print menu, and print normally the rest of the way from there.

For some reason this printer chokes on rendering certain things from the pure pdf file, so when you have your computer convert it to an image and send the image over, it works just fine. The transfer time to the printer is slightly longer but at least some paper will come out of your printer with your document on it.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I encountered the same problem: sometimes a document or email will print fine. Other times I get an error message. I am using Windows 8.1.

However, in my case it seemed to be multipage documents that caused the problem. if I print such a document page for page, nothing goes wrong. So this is my workaround for now, allthough it is in some cases time consuming.

But I thought I would inform everyone of this, so they can check if it is the same for them!

HP Recommended

this problem has now been resolved for me, my brother helped me find the cause, it turns out that when using your firewall it seems to interupt the communication on wifi as it printed fine with usb and wifi turned off. what you need to do is find the ip address of the printer and add it to your firewalls safe/whtelist etc then it shouldn't be an issue and make sure your printer drivers are upto date.

HP Recommended

Hello Everyone!

I just want to say, I appreciate you all sharing your concerns and helping each other out 🙂 I have something that may be able to assist, and for anyone that wasn't able to resolve the issue of not being able to print (the job just disappears from the queue or only a partial page/blank page prints-and the hardware works fine), please give these steps a try! I realize some of you aren't using Windows 8 or 8.1 but you should be able to easily adjust the steps for Windows 7 as well.

My colleague @JERENDS has listed these steps in this Missing/partial prints & Printer Offline on Windows 8/8.1 post.

Hope this helps you all with any lingering printing issues 🙂

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Why is this issue not resolved yet? It's been going on for several months now?

I just bought brand new printer (2540), open it up, install, adjust, and start off by trying ot print a PDF, the one I bought printer to print... Nothing.

My systme is up to date, all updates made, all firm wares etc. I try to print the PDF a few more times, just a blank page. I print from Acrobat, I open it in word, still blank page.

I go out on the internet and in one second find these threads that PDF's can't print and they are 6 months old and the problem is still not solved.

Did I mention (see my screen name) that I'm a computer professional.

And no, the suggestions in the other thread is not at all applicabale to windows 7 since the drivers are differnet, the control panela are different and for example no "class drivers" are found.

HP - Fix this immediately!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.