Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just got my HP ENVY 4500 and when I go to print anything even if I don't select the black and white printing option, there will be no colour.  The tri colour ink cartridge is inside the printer and full, yet is not used. How do I fix this?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello Kim_A,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your Envy 4500 is not printing in color ink. I will do my best to assist you! Please follow this entire HP document on Fixing Ink Streaks, Faded Prints, and Other Common Print Quality Problems.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a great night! Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Thanks so much! I will be sure to let you know what happens. Your support is much appreciated.
HP Recommended

Same issue, the problem is not with the cartridges, the test prints the system does come out in colour, but when I try to print anything from any program, it comes out B&W only.  B&W setting not checked off.

HP Recommended

Hello @drempel,

I understand the test page prints out in color ink, but any document from your computer prints out in black and white. I will do my best to assist you! First, I need to find out your operating system on your computer? Windows or Mac?

Also do you have the Envy 4500 or do you have another model number? Please provide this information on this post.

Make sure print in grayscale is turned off through the print settings menu. Follow this HP document on Change Default Print Settings in the Printer Software (Windows).

If you have a Mac computer, then please follow this HP document on Changing Print Settings in Mac OS X. I will be looking forward to hearing from you! Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
I actually figured it out. I have a Mac with a new Envy 5300 model. Do not use the AirPrint settings that are automatically setup. Delete the AirPrint driver and install the HP Envy driver, that resolved the problem.
HP Recommended

This worked for me too. I deleted the driver and reinstalled it. Took seconds and now prints colour. Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

Hi,

So I have a new IMAC and a new Envy printer. Still trying to get the hang of this IMAC but now Im trying to print pictures and everything is coming out black and white. I exported it to a different program to see if it would print color and still nothing. Im reading all the responces below on the same issue but i dont know where anything is at. Can someone please help?

HP Recommended

.  Open control panel.   Open devices and printers.  Find your printer (HP 4500 AiO I guess).  Right clidk it.  Find the line preferences.  Click it.  Make sure the line "Print in Grey Scale is NOT checked.  If it is uncheck.  You needn't restart or anything, that should do it!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.