HP ENVY 4502 Printer won't print after turning it off and on again. (2130 Views)
Top Student
Alex62
Message 1 of 10 (2,130 Views)

HP ENVY 4502 Printer won't print after turning it off and on again.

After I set up the printer the first time, it worked fine. The next morning, and avery time after that, I kept

getting a 'printing error'. Even after I cleared all the printing and tried again, I got the same message. I then

did a 'wireless network test' to see if the printer was working fine, and the first three things on the list, 'wireless on' and 'wireless working' both passed, and the 'signal quality' was rated as 'excellent'. The other message I got, was that the printer couldn't connect to the computer. At this point, I don't know what to do any more. The printer didn't come with the printer cable otherwise I would have just used the cable. Can someone help me figure out how to make my printer work after I turn it off and then on again? Thanks!

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 10 (2,123 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 4502 Printer won't print after turning it off and on again.

Your printer is probably on a router that use DHCP to assign IP addresses? When you turn off the printer and back on, the printer might get a new, different IP address. If you didn't restart the computer, it may still have the old info of the printer and it thinks that the printer is offline.
1. Try reboot the computer and allow it some time to re-discover the printer, if this doesn't help, just delete and add the printer again.
2. I would recommend assign the printer a fixed IP address (most router support this, check the router manual), this saves a lot of headaches for me.
======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
Alex62
Message 3 of 10 (2,107 Views)

Thanks for the reply! However, I'm barely tech savvy, I would need step by step help to do a 'fixed' IP address for the printer. Is there a good site for showing me how to do this? Thanks again!

Professor
Charles001
Message 4 of 10 (2,092 Views)

That info is usually found in the manual of the router. What is the brand and model of your router?
======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
Alex62
Message 5 of 10 (2,078 Views)

My router is a Sagemcom ADSL Gateway router. Thanks.

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 6 of 10 (2,024 Views)

Hi Alex62

I understand that you are having an issue with your computer talking to your printer. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue. In this document for A 'Computer Not Found' or 'Connection Error' Message Displays during Scanning choose your operating system and follow the steps for a Wireless network connection.

Let me know if this helped or if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Alex62
Message 7 of 10 (2,020 Views)

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I think the problem seems to be that after leaving my computer off for a few hours, it won't detect the printer. I think that someone at the beginning suggested that I get a 'static' printer address. I've tried to 'understand' this concept, but am having a lot of problems with it. I'm just getting tired of the printer not being able to print after the computer's been off for a long time. I never had this problem with my last printer, which was also an HP printer, but it was always connected to the computer with the USB cable that came with it. The new HP ENVY 4502 didn't come with a USB cable, and at this point, I'm thinking that to save myself a lot of further frustration, I really should get one. I tried looking for a USB cable for the printer but am not having a lot of luck. I was on a site where I talked to an actual person about getting a USB cable for the printer, and she suggested getting a 'high speed' USB cable 2.0. Does that sound about right? The reason I got this new printer was so that I wouldn't have to have any cables connected to the computer, but I also don't want to 'reconfigure' the printer every time the computer has been off for a while. Unless I can get 'step-by-step' direction on how to get this so-called 'static' address for the printer, I'm going to have to get a USB cable. Thanks for trying to help me out, but it seems that 'wireless' printers might be a little bit too hard to figure out when things go wrong!

Honor Student
KZ4ZZZ
Message 8 of 10 (1,989 Views)

[ Edited ]

Are you using a wireless router? I'm using a Linksys DSL router  and my computer is hard wired to that.(what happens in my computer room, stays in the computer room) I set the printer to be my network printer and go wireless to the router with the printer. My main computer and my second system and  anyone that comes into the house with a laptop can get to the printer with the correct password. Works like a charm, and it shows up on my Linksys Easylink Advisor as part of my network.

Allen 

Top Student
Alex62
Message 9 of 10 (1,979 Views)

My router isn't wireless. I don't know if that is what's causing all the headaches? Anyways, I'm still wondering if it's best to just get a USB high speed cable and then not have to worry about whether or not the printer will print if it's not turned on in a long time? Thanks for the help so far.

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 10 of 10 (1,951 Views)

Hi Alex62,

You can set your printer up USB connection to your computer and you should not have any issue. You can also assign a Static IP Address  that can also resolve this issue. Either way should keep you printing.

I hope this helps, let me know.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation