Question

Student
rcguy123
Message 1 of 8 (4,565 Views)

HP Envy 5530 won't print

[ Edited ]

I just bought an HP Envy 5530 today and installed the software from the disc. It finished setup and was installed without skipping any steps. The printr is connected through USB not wireless and I am just printing a word .doc, not anything special. The printer is recognized by the computer and is set as default printer and status is "ready to print." No pending or paused or waiting documents in print que. When I hit print the document shows up in the print que and says printing, but after just a few seconds it dissapears without ever printing and que goes back to zero documents waiting to print. Also, printer does not begin to spool or show any signs that it is receiving the document. However, I know the USB cable works because another laptop used this printer to print just before I attempted to set it up with my computer. The laptop used first was a Mac, could this be causing the problem or is there something else going on? Please help. Btw, I am tech savvy and am willing to try anything with the settings.

I am using:

Windows 8.1

Asus S550CM with i7 and 8GB RAM

USB 3.0 or 2.0

HP Envy 5530

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 2 of 8 (4,538 Views)

Re: HP Envy 5530 won't print

[ Edited ]

Hi rcguy123 ,

I'd be happy to help! I suggest using the HP Print and Scan Doctor first, it can resolve many printing and scanning errors, network connection or USB problems, driver issues, and port conflicts. Click here to download and run the Print and Scan Doctor> www.hp.com/go/tools

If that does not resolve the issue, post back and let me know if there are any symbols other than green check marks and what they are next to of course. The wrench is not always easy to spot as the wrench and the check mart are in the green circle. 

• If you see only green check marks ( ), the tool did not find any problems.
  • If you see green wrenches ( ), the utility identified an issue and corrected it automatically.
  • If you see yellow exclamation points ( ), the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.
  • If you see a red X ( ), follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Student
CGS2014
Message 3 of 8 (4,368 Views)

I have the same issue. I downloaded the diagnostic tool and it said it was a software problem and to uninstall and re-install. I did that and it says it's a software issue and to unistall and re-install again. Internal test page prints, but the first test page doesn't print. 

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 4 of 8 (4,360 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi CGS2014,

Thanks for using the HP Print and Scan Doctor, this helps point us in the right direction. I understand you have already done the uninstall and reinstall as instructed, but I think maybe we can try a different approach.

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  3. Uninstall the software again - Uninstalling the Printer Software Instructions
  4. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  5. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.

• Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer
  6. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
  7. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  8. Restart the computer
  9. Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows

The HP Printer Install Wizard for Window was created to help Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

Please return to let me know if this resolves the issue, thanks. Fingers crossed! :smileyhappy:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Student
leothebuilder
Message 5 of 8 (3,293 Views)

Just bought a HP Envy 5530 and installed printer and software. Printer will print .jpg photos and webpages but will not print PDF or word DOCS. Installed the printer and scan doctor and this prints the test page ok. Uninstalled printer and software and reinstalled printer and software. Restarted computer but still won't print PDF or DOC.

This happened with a previous HP deskjet printer I bought a year ago as well. What's up with the HP printers these days.

Windows 7 home edition.

HP Support Agent
Jamieson
Message 6 of 8 (3,245 Views)

Hi leothebuilder, and welcome to the HP Forums.

I would suggest Uninstalling the Printer Software.

Once it is uninstalled, I would suggest putting your system into clean boot mode within the Microsoft configuration.  You can do so by following this document: How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Once the computer is in clean boot mode, I would suggest reinstalling the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Student
Evie1983
Message 7 of 8 (3,064 Views)

I found the answer to this in another forum. You have to install the software for the Envy 5531 (not the 5530.) Uninstall the old software, restart your computer, and install the 5531; this worked for me. You're welcome.

After wasting hours of my life trying to make this printer work, I'm annoyed that THAT was the solution.

Student
psdirect
Message 8 of 8 (2,617 Views)

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!  I had to help my boss set up her printer and this worked like a charm!!!  This was the second printer we got after she returned another one she had bought.

We were about to throw the printer(s) out the window. I wasted a lot of time, but didn't waste as much thanks to your tip about installing the HP 5531 series.

Awesome. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation