Question

Top Student
EvonTrizmo
Message 1 of 11 (735 Views)

HP LaserJet 5 printing garbage, black spots all over page

I have an HP LaserJet 5 and it's been working perfectly untill a couple days ago all of a sudden it start printing black spots on the left 3/4 of the page. It seems the rest of the page is printing fine under it.
This picture here should sum it all up pretty well.

Any ideas? I'm at a total loss here. Thanks.

Grad Student
Kazman
Message 2 of 11 (719 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 5 printing garbage, black spots all over page

Hi EvonTrizmo,

if you have not recently performance maintenance on the printer, I would recommend you start there.

Here is a link to the product manual:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl03054/bpl03054.pdf

There is a section on maintenance starting on pape 8-5, as well as a topic on the transfer roller on page 8-12.

Changing the cartridge may also help as it appear on the left side too much toner is coming out of the cartridge.

Kaz

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Teacher
Norm Plumb
Message 3 of 11 (718 Views)

The images are ugly and shows some signs of incomplete toner fusing or a internal roller contamination.  Is there anything new that has changed, like a new toner cartridge-refilled or 3rd party cartridges?  The massive areas of black toner are indicated of a toner dump or a smear caused by an internal roller before the toner was fused to the page.

(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Top Student
EvonTrizmo
Message 4 of 11 (715 Views)

Thank you everyone for your replies, it gives me a good start of where to look. The printer has about 210k pages on the engine and I don't believe it's ever been maintainenced except for a few months ago it did have a new fuser gear installed. The toner cartriage in it now is an original HP 98A that I installed about a year ago but only printed maybe 200 pages max on it. But here's the thing, I just installed a new toner cartriage in it a couple of minutes ago to see if they resolves the problem but it's still doing the same thing.

It would seem like toner is spilling out from the left side, I opened the cover half way through printing and the drum did have the same toner design on it as what it shows on the paper. The only thing that throws me off is it looks like the pattern of the defect printed on the page is somewhat uniform and looks like circles of black rather than dots from spillage.

Any other ideas? I'll read the user's manual for it provided in the link above and see if I can come up with anything.

Grad Student
Kazman
Message 5 of 11 (706 Views)

Hi EvonTrizmo,

Thanks for the additional info.   In looking at your print out, if you take several in-order prints and put them in a row, you will likely see a repeating pattern.  The distance between the Start of the repeating pattern appears to be big enough that it may be associated with the circumference of the fuser.  But it is hard to see for sure in the photo with only one sheet of paper.

Pull out your fuser when it is cool, and check to see if you have any damage on the fuser.

It may also be that a part required for properly charging the toner is not working correctly.  This distance of the repeating pattern could implicate the the imaging drum, etc..  Or you may not have a repeating pattern which could indicate that something associated with charging the toner on that side has become disconnected...possibly in association with the fuser repair.  Is the issue on the same side as the fuser gear replacement?

Kaz

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Teacher
Norm Plumb
Message 6 of 11 (702 Views)

Hello,  you mentioned that a fuser gear was serviced.  Possibly the gear is not fully engaged and is causing the transfer roller or fuser to not rotate as the page is processed, thus causing a smear.  There is a half self test that defines the engine from the formatter.  Follow the steps in this doc to determine if the issue is produced by the enfine or induced by the formatter: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02016147&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=396...

Top Student
EvonTrizmo
Message 7 of 11 (701 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ah good points. The fuser gear I believe is on the right side of the printer inside, it's part is the geartrain. It seems the patterns are random. I have no idea how the printing system works but there's 3 contacts that I can see on the left side of the toner cartriage that seem to be clean and in good shape. The only other metal possible contact on the cartriage is on the right side and it seems like there is a tiny spring that makes contact with a metal plate that's on the end of the drum, could this be the ground for the drum? If so that may be the problem because when I checked the continuity with a multi-meter from that spring to the metal case of the printer I get nothing. But if the toner does indeed work with static electricity and the ground connects on the right side, it may not be reaching far enough left to drain.

Just throwing things out there. Seems to be a much more complicated problem than most.

Teacher
Norm Plumb
Message 8 of 11 (691 Views)

Hi,  the metal springs on the toner cartridge makes contact with the circuit board  to that a toner is installed and it is the correct type.  It's been quite a while that I've seen or looked at a LJ5 but I wold bet that it is related to the fuser gear or transfer roller not moving in sequence together.

Top Student
EvonTrizmo
Message 9 of 11 (685 Views)

IS there any type of alignment that any of the gears need to be in when putting it back together? I checked the fused assembly over and the soft black roller is in really good shape along with the silver roller. Neither have any toner fused to them or scratches. All the toner does come out fused to the paper and there's no loose or smeared toner on the paper, it's all heated and bonded to the paper.

Teacher
Norm Plumb
Message 10 of 11 (680 Views)

Hello,

I do not have a service manual for this Laserjet.  Has there been a recent paper jam in this printer?  I'm starting to believe that the fuser film on the left side has been torn off.  This could happen if a paper jam occurred and the paper was pulled out with some force, it could have ripped the film and pieces began to tear off over time.  Do you know if this issue got worse over time?  I would suggest to inspect the fuser at this point.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation