Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear HP and fellow Members,

We have been encountering Paper Jam (13.20.00 Jam in Top Cover Area) problem for the HP LaserJet 5200n model for some time, printing from both Tray 1 and Tray 2 show the same Paper Jam 13.20.00 error result, we would appreciate if you could provide some input on the matter.

Firstly, we look at Tray 2 during Printing:

a) When Paper Feed Tray 2 has only one piece of paper, and when instructed to print one page, the print goes smooth with no jams.

b) When Paper Feed Tray 2 has more than one piece of paper, and when instructed to print one page, the print jams with13.20.00 error, result as below:

Tray 2 Situation.jpg

Now, we look at Tray 1 during Printing:

a) When Paper Feed Tray 1 has only one piece of paper, and when instructed to print one page, the print goes smooth with no jams.

b) When Paper Feed Tray 1 has two pieces of paper, and when instructed to print one page, the print jams, however with no error, refer below picture:

Tray 1 Situation a.png

c) When Paper Feed Tray 1 has more than two pieces of paper, and when instructed to print one page, the print jams with 13.20.00 error result as below:

Tray 1 Situation b.jpg

Considerations:

1) After watching YouTube instructions on common paper jam problems for the 5200n model at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nbwkp-i9MI, and

http://www.brokenprinter.com/hp-laserjet-5200-paper-jam-repair-kit/

We have replaced and tested 3 parts,

i) Tray 2 Separation Pad

ii) Tray 1 Separation Pad

iii) Tray 1 Pick up Roller

Replaced the unpacked.JPG

However same results on the paper jam. We did not test the Tray 2 Pick up Roller as the replacement part itself was faulty. (The notch part was not secure, making the entire removable part to wobble and not clip straight.)

2) Prior to replacing the parts, we took out the Fuser via YouTube instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ing3Bw3unjY to have a look and see if we could find any irregularities. We read at discussion forums stating that some sensors triggered the paper jams, after removing the Fuser, we were unsure of the locations of the sensors and unsure of what we were looking at.

At this point we are unsure the possible reasons for the paper jam. If it were either one or more of the 4 replacement parts, however after testing each of the 3 parts individually (the other one being faulty), the same paper jam occurs for both Tray 1 and 2. If the solution were the 4 replacement parts, it couldn’t still affect both Trays 1 and 2 could it? Perhaps one of the tray would have worked?

We have a hunch over some components that may have possibly been misaligned/been affected while we removed and reinstalled the Fuser, however we are as well unsure on this matter and unsure what to look out for.

Let us know if you require more information. We appreciate and thank you for your time.

[Edited for Personal Information]

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello updateme_hp,

To get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since the HP LaserJet 5200n is a commercial product. You can do this at HP Enterprise Business Community.

The support page for your product may be helpful in the meantime:
HP Support Center.

I hope this helps! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello, Just curious if you found a resolution to this.  I am having the same problem exactly!

Thanks!

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi @updateme_hp ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I needed to edit your post and remove the Serial  Number. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Good evening.

Turns out this issue was indeed caused by the paper tray size not set correctly - this even caused a strange issue with the duplexer making a grinding noise when the machine was turned on initially.  We were running 8x11 paper in tray 3 as "letter" (we were running short side first - causing jams) which is actually supposed to be fed long side first, letter (r) is paper coming out short side first.  I had blown out sensors, tried replacing registration assy, checking fuser assy and sensor (looked ok) and verifying solenoid pads were all ok.  Only after setting the paper as described on the tray 3 front (open the tray and instructions are on the top left side) - pay VERY close attention on how the paper should be oriented in the tray and the EXACT position the dial for the tray should be on.  This solved my issue - paper feeding and duplexing properly and duplexer not making grinding noise...  Hope it helps someone else.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.