Question

Top Student
helpdesk413
Message 1 of 3 (953 Views)

HP LaserJet P4014 Printer "REPLACE BLACK CARTRIDGE" not working properly with newest firmware

1. HP LaserJet P4014 Printers / CB512A

2. Windows XP SP3

3. No error message, the feature just doesnt work with the newest firmware anymore even if its properly selected

4. Updated firmware, which can not be undone

So I've had several issues with the P4014, it began when I tried to update firmware 20120718 04.170.3.  This firmware caused lots of issues which I have since fixed but now I've run accross another issue since upgrade the firmware.

Prior to the firmware update when a toner cartridge was low we were able to shake it to continue printing until the toner was completely empty.  This is great considering they are very expencive to replace.

Since the firmware upgrade we are no longer to continue printing when the printing tells us that the toner is low, it just stops even though it still has a decent % left.

According to the printer if we set the "REPLACE BLACK CARTRIDGE" to stop at out, it should allow us to continue printing just as we did prior to updating the firmare.

From the printer manual the below is stated for this function, so I don't understand why after updating the firmware and having the printer interface option selected to stop at out it won't allow us to continue printing even if the toner is not out.  Another thing to add is that the option on the printer itself is not there but only in the web interface of the printer.

(OVERRIDE AT OUT : Select this option to override the message and continue printing after the print cartridge is depleted. HP does not guarantee print quality after you select this option.)

One more VERY ODD thing I noticed is that out of 3 of the same printers with the same firmware; 20120718 04.170.3

2 of the printers sho

REPLACE BLACK CARTRIDGE: "Stop at low" "Stop at out" "Override at out"

While one of the printers only has

REPLACE BLACK CARTRIDGE: "Stop at low" "Stop at out" and does not show the 3rd option.

any help would be greatly appreciated so I can try to get some more life out of the toner before throwing it away, it is a very big waste of money and resources if their is still toner to be used.

Top Student
helpdesk413
Message 2 of 3 (925 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet P4014 Printer "REPLACE BLACK CARTRIDGE" not working properly with newest f

The below are the examples of two of the same printers both with the same firmware, one showing 3 options for "REPLACE BLACK CARTRIDGE" and the other showing 2.  Regardless of this, neither one of them works when setting the option to stop at out or stop at override at out

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

Top Student
helpdesk413
Message 3 of 3 (895 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet P4014 Printer "REPLACE BLACK CARTRIDGE" not working properly with newest f

If no one has any idea on how to fix my problem that is ok, I wasn't expecting much as far as support since the product is no longer in any kind of warranty.

I am however going to ask somewhat of an easy question which I hope someone can answer on this board.

I thought I had the newest firmware but it appears that there is a newer one listed for the HP P4014dn: 04.181.4

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

I want to make sure that this firmware is compatibile with the model printers we have, the firmware says it is for

Product Name(s):HP LaserJet P4014, P4015, and P4515
Model Number(s):CB509A, CB510A, CB511A, CB514A, CB515A, CB516A, and
CB517A

It does not include the model p4014 that we have: CB512A.  Should I be concerned about trying to update this firmware? I have had problems from printers going into DFU mode from firmwares and want to avoid using something that isn't compatible from the get-go.

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation