03-20-2013 11:13 AM
I have a HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color MFP M475dw connected via USB to my laptop on Windows XP. When I first installed it, it worked fine. But once I reboot my laptop, the printer goes offline. Putting it online doesn't help, I still cannot print. I believe it has to do with a USB conflict, but I don't know how to solve it. The port to which the printer is connected is USB001. I don't know if or how I should change that. Reinstalling the printer helps, but only until I reboot, and I cannot keep on reinstalling the printer. I cannot print via the network as I am using a VPN, so I have to connect the printer directly via USB. When I print from another PC that is connected to the network (and doesn't use VPN) then the printer works just fine. Any suggestion? Two support guys from HP couldn't help me (on two different occasions via chat).
03-21-2013 02:23 PM
The next time this problem happens check your Device Manager. Let us know if the printer is physically connected and detected or not.
To open Device Manager (WinXP):
1. Right click your My Computer icon
2. Select Properties
3. Click the Hardware tab
4. Click the Device Manager Button
Within Device manager you should see several devices related to your m475. Under Imaging Devices there should be a scanner listed. Under USB you should have several printing devices listed. You can conduct an experiment by plugging and unplugging your printer while viewing your device manager. Device manager updates automatically so you should get quick feedback if there is a physical USB problem.
If Device Manager does not reveal the solution then the next step would be to deal with the ports, drivers and objects installed on your WinXP machine.
My HP Enterprise Profile
My Verizon Wireless profile
If you found this post helpful then please award it a Kudo (purple thumbs up) or even better mark it as the solution : )
01-15-2014 12:41 PM
Try going to the Control Panel of your M475 and go to the Service Menu. Go to Smart Install and turn it OFF. Then try rebooting your XP machine again.
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - Find and Fix Common Printer Problems Using HP Diagnostic Tools for Windows
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printers
- HP Printers - Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)