Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi @mde8965,

You could always try that, it is worth a shot.

On the printer's front panel menu, go to Setting-> Network Setup-> Network Services and Turn off IPV6. 

Have a great weekend! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

After many weeks of rtying many different things to remedy the issues

1) After installation of new Dual Band Arris modem by Internet carrier, printer would no longer respond.  First issue was a low memory error.  After reset printer would no longer respond at all

2) Tried installing and uninstalling printer in many ways, ethernet, wireless and USB.  Printer would never even print a test page.  Attempts to print configuration pages or any other reports would result in 49 service error

3) BrightHouse (carrier) was in home 3 separate times to tweak the modem, attempt to uninstall and reinstall the printer, etc.

The problem turns out to be that with certain modems, the HP cannot communicate via IPv6 with te modem (they do not play nice together using IPv6) either due to the HP or the modem, likely HP because of the fact that it seems to always be HP printers having this issue.

Here are the steps that I took that finally resolved this.  Please note that the solution came from a BrightHouse technician from a different website.  I am just passing along the info in case it helps others:

1) Uninstall the printer completely from the PC, including the printer, any software it installed, drivers, and any ports you may have created trying to recify problems

2) Shut down the computer

3) Unplug the ethernet cable from the printer (if applicable)

4) Hit the reset button on the printer's home screen to reset to defaults

5) Do a cold reset of the printer (email the HP support folks for procedure)

6) On the printer interface (screen) go into settings; network settings, network services.  Here you will see IPv4 and IPv6.  Turn OFF IPv6.  Do not mess wth IPv4 (leave it on). 

7)  Plug in the ethernet cable into the printer or enable/setup wireless settings using the printer interface (screen).

😎 Turn on the computer

9) Install the printer using the CD that came with it or installation software downloaded from HP's site.

I am not sure every single one of these steps is absolutely necessary, like step 4, but this is what I did...

I have seen so many posts on the internet with HP printers not installing correctly and throwing a 49 service error instead.  Not sure how many such problems this applies to.  But HP needs to fix this IPv6 issue with their printers or at least try to research the cause... 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.