Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere on this forum I read a post by an HP engineer who proposed to do make 100 copies of a blank piece of paper.. So I placed one in the auto sheet feeder, pressed copy.. put 99 (100 doesn't work 😉 ).. and pressed copy (black/white).. After the 99 pages were processed I replaced the paper with HP photo paper (HP Everyday Glossy Photo paper) and it worked..also on some third party 10x15 cm photo papers works perfect now.. (I keep my fingers crossed).. 

So thanks to all who suggested ways to fix this issue.. this one helped for me... I hope it is helpful for others as well.. 

HP Recommended

I just bought this printer in sept. 2012 and I confirm that the problem with photo paper is still annoying. Why would you have to disable a paper feeder to put your special photo paper !!!! I specifically bought the model with 2 drawers to have regular and photo paper.

HP Recommended

I've had this printer for 7 months, and have not had a problem with it feeding photo paper. I can't understand why so many people are having this problem. Please make sure that the paper is pressed all the way to the rear of the paper tray by sliding the center lever all the way to the rear. Either the paper is not in the tray correctly or I believe prehaps the tray could be defective. I doubt that the problem is with the printer rollers.

HP Recommended

@darrel112 wrote:

I've had this printer for 7 months, and have not had a problem with it feeding photo paper. I can't understand why so many people are having this problem. Please make sure that the paper is pressed all the way to the rear of the paper tray by sliding the center lever all the way to the rear. Either the paper is not in the tray correctly or I believe prehaps the tray could be defective. I doubt that the problem is with the printer rollers.

If you read this thread you will notice that the problem occures only under certain conditions. If the second tray is not installed, it sometimes helps to disable tray two. Unfortunatly this is no option, when a second tray is installed. But it proves that this is a software / firmware problem, which should be fixed by HP.

The "solution" with 99 empty page prints did not solve the problem here. The new firmware does not help as well.

HP Recommended

The second tray is installed on my system, and it is not disabled. It is set for automatic tray selection. I agree that 99 empty page solution is ridiculous.

I believe that firmware is automatically updated if the printer is connected wireless rather then through USB cable. All these people that are complaining of this problem, I wonder how many are using a USB cable?

HP Recommended

Seems to be a common problem with no attempt, as far as I can see, at HP trying to resolve it. I must admit I was very happy with the printer until I tried to print a photo and got the 'out of paper' message too.

The only workaround is too stick some Scotch tape on the back of the photo paper and make sure there isn't any other paper in the feeder. Hardly satisfactory but will serve me before I take the machine back to the shop for a refund!

HP Recommended

I'm using it wirelessly, firmware & software up-to-date, but having the same problem. Not sure it's a firmware issue. It smacks of faulty batch of rollers from the factory. It works if I stick a piece of Scotch tape on the back of the photopaper!

HP Recommended

Guys, is there a solution to this problem? Will a different paper work like Epson paper? I don;t mind using a different brand paper. I called HP twice and they gave me some bogus advice. In one case, the guy remoted into my machine, printed one picture (as luck would have it , it worked for him) and then he told me 'there you have it , the printer is fixed." The minute we hung up, it did it  again. The second call, the tech told me to upgrade the firmware. When I told her the firmware does not address this issue, she told me do it anyway .Needeless to say, it did not work. You cannot fix hardware with software.  If this continues to happen, I will exchange the printer with HP, I won't even open the new one. I will put it right one ebay and sell it. Then I will  buy the Epson equivalent. I am done with HP. This is so sad for them . This used to be my favorite company. I used to buy their calculators, Printers--going back to the Laserjet Series II. Meg has no experience with troubled companies. Unfortunately, she will not save HP. In any event, if there if a permanent solution to this nonsense, please post. Many Thanks--Aristotle

HP Recommended

Just purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus that's not printing on invitation card stock designed for home printers.  Showing "Out of Paper" error.  Is this a normal? I'm considering returning printer if this is routine problem.  What can I do to correct issue?

HP Recommended

Now, I'm not able to print anything.  Not regular paper or card stock.  (I don't want to use photo paper, but a card style invitation)

I followed recommendations made to me and went to Printer Preferences and checked the box indicating photo paper.  Fully loaded the paper drawer with the card stock.  Same error appeared.  So, I tried regular paper to no avail.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.