Question

Honor Student
jiestes
Message 1 of 9 (2,054 Views)

HP Officejet 4500 Wireless not printing

HP Officejet 4500 Wireless Model #G510n

Windows 7

My all-in-one printer has worked great up until recently.  It is a little over a year old.  It just stopped printing.  It receives the print signal from my computer, the display screen on the printer says "Printing" but nothing ever actually prints.  It will display "Printing" for days if I leave it.  I can push the 'X' button to cancel the printing, but then it displays "Print cancelled" indefinitely.  Unplugging it seems to be the only way to clear the display.  It gets the print signal from the computer and the scanner works fine so it is connecting.  The fax isn't connected, so I'm not sure if that still works.  Using the 'Copy' function gets the same results as printing from the computer.  When it is turned on paper will sometimes feed halfway and stop or sometimes all the way through with a blank page.  I have no idea why it changes back and forth.  It's not a paper jam/feeder problem.  I've tried removing and replacing the ink cartridges (hoping they weren't locked in or something).  No change.  I tried running the Print and Scan Doctor before posting this message.  I also tried completely uninstalling everything and reinstalling, but got the same results.  I'm out of ideas.  Any suggestions?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 9 (2,030 Views)

I would try a Hard Reset:
* Unplug printer while on
* Unplug other end of power cord from the direct wall outlet
* Wait 30 seconds
* Plug unit back up for power

I see you have already tried this step and would advise performing a Partial Reset next. Be aware that this can erase some internal information from the printer.
* Unplug unit while the printer is on
* Hold # and 3
* Plug the printer back in for power
* Release # and 3 after the printer begins to power up
* Follow onscreen instructions after reboot

Let me know how this goes.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
jiestes
Message 3 of 9 (2,018 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 Wireless not printing

I tried both of these options and unfortunately neither worked.  Each time it rebooted, fed a blank piece of paper halfway through, then stopped.  It still isn't printing.  It wasn't connecting to the computer at all, so I went through the steps of reconnecting and now it is right back where it started.  I tried to print a test page, the display on the printer says "Printing...", but nothing prints.  And now the scanner isn't working anymore.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 9 (1,987 Views)

Check your inbox messages.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Student
KRHall
Message 5 of 9 (1,964 Views)

HELP!  I am having the exact same issue.

We have nothing but trouble with this HP officejet 4500. We returned the first one we purchased as defective, exchanging it for another one. This one has had the same problems. It works for a short while then all of a sudden when you try to send a document to print the printer just keeps showing "printing" on the screen. It will not clear unless unplugged.

have done every trouble shooting option out there including 3 different types of rebooting the system and uninstalling and reinstalling the software both from disc and from download. We have this printer hooked up to our network were 2 or 3 users use it. It will not print from any machine.

So far I have spent way too many hours trouble shooting this printer and feel it was a complete waste of money, and my time. I am hoping to find someone who can actually help me fix this issue. If not I highly doubt I will ever buy or recommend a HP printer again.

Honor Student
DKB1
Message 6 of 9 (1,636 Views)

Did you ever get resolution / a fix for your printer problem?  I'm having the same issue but did not locate an answer to the problem.

Honor Student
DKB1
Message 7 of 9 (1,635 Views)

Did you get an answer to your printer problem? I have the same issue and cannot locate a fix.
Honor Student
DKB1
Message 8 of 9 (1,635 Views)

Was there ever a fix to the officejet 4500 wireless printer where it stops printing?

Intern
robinred3811
Message 9 of 9 (1,632 Views)

Sorry to hear about the problems that you are facing. Just to better understand ...

(1) did you try a self test print job (eg. when printer is power up and not exhibiting any errors, press and hold 'X' (cancel) button followed by power on button)
(2) did you try connecting and printing the printer directly via USB instead of home network?

This could help folks here to differentiate if the problem is related more to connectivity or hardware. Thank you.
I work for HP. My posts represent my suggestions/opinions and not HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation