Question

Top Student
jra2212
Message 1 of 24 (5,359 Views)

HP Officejet 4620....problems with printing.

I just purchased this printer a couple of days ago and followed the set-up instructions step by step.  After set-up it worked fine on a wireless network with two different computers.  The problem comes in when the printer is un-used for a small period of time (I'm not exactly sure of the period of time it takes but I would guesstimate about 30 minutes).  After that, I will try to print something (and my computer will say that the printer is online and ready) but I'll get the message that the computer can not communicate with the printer after a few seconds.  This is happening on both computers, one runnning Windows Vista and the other running Windows 7.  I can work around the problem simply by turning the printer off and then back on....it will work fine until it sits un-used for a small period of time again. 

I've tried running the diagnostics tool when the printer failed to print and it gives me all green checks saying that everything is fine and offers to print a test page to verify this.  When I click to print the test page, it responds after a few seconds saying that the computer can not communicate with the printer but offers no additional troubleshooting tips for me to attempt.

While the problem is occuring, the printer does indicate that it is connected to the network with no issues (which this is also verified with the diagnostic tool, which seems to have no trouble communicating with the printer during it's "problem time").  Simply "waking up" the printer will still not allow it to print, it must be turned off and then back on before it will print again.

*As a side note, I did reset the printer defaults and uninstall/reinstall the software and printer thinking that the set-up may not have worked properly initially.  It is still doing the exact same thing as it did at first with both computers.  Considering that it is happening with both computers, I would imagine the issue must be with the network, drivers, software or printer but I'm not certain what troubleshooting steps to take next.  I'm hoping this is a common problem with an easy fix and a quick answer......but I don't usually get that lucky :smileywink:

Any help or suggestions would certainly be appreciated.  Thanks!

Top Student
jra2212
Message 2 of 24 (5,355 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4620....problems with printing.

Additional information....

After playing around a bit more in an effort to find the issue, I've found that I can get the printer to work by turning off the network connection and then turning it back on without actually powering the printer down.  At all times though, the printer is indicating that it has a good connection.  It's not as if it's loosing the connection....not to mention, it seems as my computer is still able to communicate with the printer on some level when it won't print because the diagnostic tool communicates with it just fine and tells me there is not a problem when one obviously exists. 

Hopefully that may shed a little more light on the subject.  Sorry about being repetitive at times but I want to try to be as detailed as possible when describing the issue I'm having :smileyhappy:

Thanks again!

Top Student
jra2212
Message 3 of 24 (5,346 Views)

Additional info....

When the printer refuses to print, I can go to my internet browser and type in the IP address of the printer and then click on "print test page" and it prints it up just fine.  When I then try to print from another program (from Microsoft Word for instance), it tells me that it can not communicate with the printer (although it tells me the printer is ready with a green check mark).  Once I turn off and turn back on the wireless connection, I can then print from Word (or any other program for that matter).  I have tried disabling firewalls and security software and that does not seem to make a difference....plus, I couldn't imagine it would be security software or a firewall because I would think that would stop it from ever printing if that was the culprit.  Again, this is happening from two computers running Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Thanks again and I'll provide any additional updates as I try to figure this out.

Top Student
jra2212
Message 4 of 24 (5,325 Views)

Still hoping for an answer to this problem....I've tried to be as detailed as possible.  If there are no suggestions on what to do, could someone please refer me to another resource where I may find some answers?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 5 of 24 (5,315 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey jra2212,

It sounds like the printer and network are not maintaining a stable network connection. I would advise power cycling the network devices to ensure there is a secure network connection.

Follow these steps to reset your HP printer, your wireless router, and your computer.
1. Press the Power button on the HP printer to turn it off.
2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the HP printer.
3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.
4. Turn off the computer.
5. Wait 30 seconds.
6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.
7. Wait 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready.
8. Turn the computer back on.
9. Wait for the computer to reload.
10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the HP printer.
11. Turn the printer back on.

Once all the devices are powered back up, then I would advise assigning a static IP for the printer.  Follow the steps in the video below for setting a static IP address.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
jra2212
Message 6 of 24 (5,300 Views)

Ok...I followed the above instructions and set a static IP address.  The printer is still exhibiting the original symptoms plus it now has an additional problem.  I'm getting the message that the printer can not connect to the internet for e-print or to update.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 7 of 24 (5,290 Views)

Hey jra2212,

When you set the Static IP address in the EWS of the printer, what did you set for the Static DNS servers?  I would advise using the Google DNS servers if you are having an issue with updates/ePrint connection.  Set the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
jra2212
Message 8 of 24 (5,288 Views)

Called into tech support and spent about an hour and a half on the phone.....we did set the primary DNS and Secondary to what you suggested.  Still having exact same problem.  Tech support is supposed to call me back today to see if it's working properly because we had to power cycle the printer which obviously allows it to work for a while.  I'm still open to suggestions as I'm trying to figure this out.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 9 of 24 (5,288 Views)

It is strange that the communication continues to be lost after setting a static IP.  I am glad to hear that Tech Support is working with you on the issue with the printer.

One thing I can think of that I couldn't find listed above:  Where is the printer getting its power from?  I would advise having this printer plugged into a direct wall outlet.  I have seen this fix some issues of communciation before.

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
jra2212
Message 10 of 24 (5,279 Views)

[ Edited ]

The biggest thing that has me stumped is that I can open my browser, access the printer with the IP address and then print a test page....that tells me that the printer is still maintaining at least some kind of connection and yet if I flip over to Word, it can't seem to communicate with the printer.....and it's doing the exact same thing on two completely different computers.  Diagnostics always come back as if the printer is working just dandy....but it's obviously not.  Seems like a really strange issue. 

Also to update, tech support did call me back....they are escalating my problem to the "next level".  I guess someone else should be giving me a call within the next couple of days.

I'm still open to any additional suggestions as I would like to get this issue resolved ASAP.

Thanks again!

Edit....also printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet.  No extention cords or power strips.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation