Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just replaced the ink and the printer says that I must replace cartridges.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey @Grabs4 ,

Thank you for joining us on the HP Forums today, hope you enjoy your time with us!

You say you "replaced the ink" and it is still telling you to "replace the ink". Did you replace all of the ink or just 1 of the ink cartridges? Usually when you get this error it indicates the cartridges that you need to replace, do you see anything that suggests that?

In case you have either replaced all the ink cartridges or you have been instructed by the printer to replace a certain 1 or more cartridges I'll give you the link below to use as a troubleshooting tool. Please go through it from start to end and let me know whether it fixes the issue for you or not.

A 'Cartridge Missing,' 'Cartridge Problem,' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displays ...

Look forward to hearing back from you! Have a great day and a wonderful/safe holiday season. Smiley Happy

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

hi i am having the same problem with my new office jet 4630.... my black ink cartridge works fine but the colored ink cartridge the printer came with doesnt work... the message "must replace ink cartridge" pops up immediatly. i figured there was a problem with that specific cartride so i went to walmart and bought another cartridge and the same message popped up on the window screen! i am using the correct tyoeof ink. i dont understand whats going on. HP sent me a replacement model of my new printer and they told me that would solve the problem and i received it today and plugged it in and out the colored ink cartridge and the black ink cartridge in and the same message popped up. i removed the colored ink cartridge and the printer began to work. i took the black ink cartridge out and just put the colored ink cartridge in and the message popped up again in the window saying "must replace ink cartridge". i have no idea what is going on. did you end up finding an answer??? seems like you were experiencing the same type of problem. please let me know when you get a sec thanks.

HP Recommended
I am having a very similar problem... please help.
HP Recommended
Everyone I go to one of the links highlighted in your answers, it takes me to a "find your product" page then the process starts all over again and I end up not even being able to see that link.
HP Recommended

Hi @ksiren50,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you have replaced the cartridges on your HP Officejet 4630 and you are still being asked to replace the cartridges.

I would like you to start troubleshooting here: A 'Cartridge Missing,' 'Cartridge Problem,' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displays ...

I suspect when you click on the link you are seeing the top portion of the document as shown below:

Capture.PNG

Please continue to scroll down the page, until you see Solution One and start the troubleshooting there.

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

We just bought a new HP 4630. We chose HP because we have had other HP printers and they have been great.  It came today and the color cartridge that came with the unit keeps getting the same error message saying that it needs to be replaced.  I have read the other entries in this forum and am reluctant to continue with this particular model.   We tried ALL of the steps on the recommended troubleshooting document more than once.  Same message. We do not want to buy a new cartridge if this problem will continue.  Please, advise.  Do we need to return the product?

HP Recommended

Hi @Granny3,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you have setup your new OJ 4630 and you are getting cartridge error messages. You have completed the troubleshooting steps with no success.

I do not suggest you buy a new cartridge, please contact our technical support at 800-474-6836, as the cartridge would still be in warranty. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm having this same problem. Have had the 4630 for 2 months. 

I tried all the solutions HP suggests and still getting the error. Tried 2 different new cartridges as well. No luck.

So frustrating and hurting my business to not be able to print. 

Never had such a bad experinece with an HP product. 

HP Recommended

Hi @KrystinaF,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you are experiencing the same issue with your HP Officejet 4630. Please make sure you have not missed any troubleshooting steps listed here: A 'Cartridge Missing,' 'Cartridge Problem,' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displays ...

If you are still getting the error message. I suggest contacting our technical support at www.hp.com/contacthp/. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution" . If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.