Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am having a problem with my HP All in One HP 6500 Officejet E709n Printer.

For over a week, I have been getting the Error Message on the printer's LED display saying "Ink System Failure. Please turn printer off then On."

I have done all of the suggested possible solutions with no success in resolving the problem.

My ink cartridges were relatively new, but I replaced them because that was one of the suggestions.  It did not help.  I thoroughly cleaned the printhead according to the HP recommended procedure.  It did not help.

My printer is out of warranty.  I have now spent over $100. on ink cartridges and I have a printer that looks great but will not work. 

Does anyone know if there is any help out there from HP?  Or am I just out of luck?  I have always been a strong HP advocate, having owned HP computers and printers ever since I got involved in personal computing more than 18 years ago.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I would take a look at this document.   If you have completed steps in this document then I would  take a look at this thread   Some users have found success with soaking the printhead.  

Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Hi, GaryTech1, Thank you for your reply.
I have reviewed the pages you referred me to and I think I have tried all of the recommended fixes indicated on them:
1. I have replaced all of the ink cartridges with new ones, even though the ones in there were only about two months old.  P.S I used the printer successfully only a few minutes before I noticed the flashing error message on the printer LCD display.  It worked fine.  The cartridges are installed correctly and the cartridge vents are open and clear.
2. I cleaned the print head according to instructions.  I also soaked the print head in hot water for about five (5) minutes.  I did not touch any of the electrical contacts on the cartridges or print head with anything other than distilled water and lint-free cleaning papers ( i.e., new coffee filters purchased for the purpose of cleaning the print head.)
This same information applies to the print head electrical contacts inside the printer.
3. I tried to use the cleaning procedure in Windows and the HP Solution Center, but my printer will no longer connect to the computer via a wireless or wired connection.  The only thing on the printer LCD display is the error message "Ink System Failure.  Please turn the printer off then on."
4. I have also tried resetting the printer by turning it off; waiting 15-30 seconds and turning it on again; then by unplugging the power supply and again waiting for 15-30 seconds; Then by restarting the printer while holding down the # key and the 6 key; Then by restarting the printer while holding down the # key and the 3 key; Then by repeating these steps after unplugging the power supply, etc. None of these actions have resolved the error.
5. I even considered buying a new print head, but then decided that would be unwise since it is so costly ($125.00) and then I don't know the one I have is defective.  I might just be wasting more money because, as with the new print cartridges, there is no way to return them after they are opened.
If you have any other ideas, I would appreciate trying them. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

The next step I would have suggested would have been doing a semi-full reset on the unit, but you have already completed it without any success.  At this point I would consider product replacement.  Considering the amount that you would have to pay for a new printhead it would be advisable to just purchase a new unit in which you will have a full one year warranty that will cover the entire unit.   Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Hi again, ,

Well, I thank you for trying to help me.

At this point, I think you are right, but I hate to lose all of the money I have invested in replacement cartridges.

If I buy a new printer, it will probably use different cartridges, and then if/when something like this happens again with the new printer, I can see myself in the same boat as I am in now.

Do you  know or think there might be an HP repair Center available were they could do a really good check to find out what caused the problem?  I  ask that because I have seen posts by a lot of other users with the same problem.  I would think that HP might also want to find the cause.

Thanks again..

HP Recommended

@ken_louderback

That is an option that you can explore in trying to find a local repair shop in your area that may fix printers.  Hp doesn't have local repair centers.  

HP Recommended

OK.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi, again, GaryTech1,

I was just doing some more checking on the web for anymore possible solutions for my printer problem and came across two more possible causes for my problem that I thought I might run by you to see what you think:

1.  Is it possible that my printer has stopped working because the Ink Cartridges are expired?  They are dated "201207" for the black, "201213" for the yellow, and "201402" for the Cyan and Magenta. 

(The info I found about this is from Reuters: "However, some consumers are claiming that HP goes a step further, and includes a "must use by" date encoded in the chip in their ink cartridges, meaning that if you don't use the ink by a certain date, no HP printer will let you use it any more.)

2.  Is it possible that the printer stopped working because the battery for the CMOS memory needs to be replaced?  (The Info I found is as follows: "HP Printer CMOS Battery Reset.  There is a CMOS battery inside your printer that keeps track on your printer’s history. Ink replacements, resets, etc… Clear the Ink system failure error message by resetting the data stored on your printer. You can do this by removing the CMOS battery and then putting it back in after 30 minutes.)

I bought my ink cartridges from COSTCO and did not know they had an expiration date, after which they could not be used, so I did not know enough to make sure they were expired or not about to go out of date.  And, as for the CMOS battery, if you think that is the problem, I can try to open the printer and replace the battery.  Please advise.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi I am javed Aqeel Working As a Service Engineer I apreciate That the student Had don all procedure accoring to the gerrytech But here is the diffrent situation in This case you have replace service station unite By HP authorized  Engineer To threaten this problem This fault comes to the (service station Unite)Because there is limitation or cartridge cleaning unite that unit totally filled with wast of ink cartridges and having this problem Thank You I hope this this problem can threaten with this solution

[Personal Information Removed]for experties advice

HP Recommended

Hi Garytech,

Just thought I would say that I had the same problem with black printing all of a sudden not happening on my

HP 6500 e709n printer.

I did hard and partial restarts.  Nothing.

I cleaned the print head following the instructions on your links.  Now a new problem -

"Printer system ink failure error"

Took me awhle to figure it out, but I had to clean each print cartridges connectors with water and lint free cloth and then reinstall each after drying.

I pressed firmly down on each cartridge to try to ensure a good connection.

Voila - works great!

The last step was critical...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.