Question

Honor Student
YorkshireMidge
Message 1 of 2 (1,372 Views)

HP Officejet 6500. "The printer is out of paper error" when using NHS GOS forms

[ Edited ]

Bit of an odd problem concerning an HP 6500 Officejet which is used for over-printing NHS General Opthalmic Services forms (there is a series of these known as GOS1, GOS2, GOS3, GOS4, GOS5, GOS6 and they are just standard A4 single sheet).

The printer can't seem to handle them reliably anymore, and there is anecdotal evidence which suggest the quality/weight of the paper used might be inconsistent and/or lower quality than it used to be. I can certainly say without doubt that the forms I used for testing were very cheap and nasty.  There are no issues printing from the same main bin using standard inkjet paper.

The odd thing is that you can do a status print reliably onto these forms from the front panel of the printer without any issue at all. Also, when you do an OS/application print, it appears to feed into the printer perfectly OK before it throws out the paper out error.

I have a solution/workaround which is to set the paper type to PLAIN PAPER from AUTOMATIC and that works a treat.

So given there is no apparent issue with the physical paper handling, my best theory is perhaps the automatic paper sensor fitted to this type of printer (and possibly other HP machines) is optical, and the paper is so poor quality that enough light is getting through it to trigger the paper out error.  Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 2 (1,335 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500. "The printer is out of paper error" when using NHS GOS forms

hi there, 

You may want to give some of the steps outlined in this article a shot. Let us know if they help. 

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation