Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Rainbow7000: I am experiencing the exact same problem as everyone else here who owns a 6700 printer. I sent an e-mail from the HP website, presumably to customer service, regarding this problem, and explained that I have an additional year left on the Office Depot 3-year extended warranty that I purchased.

I followed all the steps that my printer instructed me to follow, including consulting HP's website and contacting HP. The Office Depot manager instructed me to follow these instructions as well, and refused to replace or upgrade me to a new printer without first receiving some type of authorization number(?) or such from HP regarding a printer replacement. Is this information accurate, and can you please help me as well? My family and I rely on our printer for work and school, so I need a replacement ASAP. Many thanks for your reply. 

HP Recommended

I have tried the plug unplug options, worked for a day they back to message again.    Would cleaning the printhead help and are there directions how to do that  

I checked with HP and they suggested buying a new printer, mine is only a little over a year old so if there is another option to try to fix Il'l try it

HP Recommended

I've got the Officejet 6700 Premium as well. It worked fine for around 18 months. I now have this error message as well.

First I've tried the reset-option with the power cord. HP should take that 'solution' off the site since this is not helping anyone.

Calling HP service has always been a challange or at least getting a solution of them. They can't and won't help you if you can't proof that your printer is still in waranty.

HP does not repair printers, they only replace them. The cost of a new printer is lower than the repair price.

The Officejet 6700 Premium seems to have a design flaw since this error is very common among users.

If you get this error, the whole system blocks. You can't scan either so the whole system turns useless.

In my case I don't have the receipt anymore, no warranty is no help.

On youtube there is  video on how to clean the printheads of this printer. Officially these printheads can't be replaced nor can they be cleaned. This can be considered odd since it is very likely that this will occure within say.. 2 or 3 years.

I tried to clean the printheads by opening it up as shown in a youtube video. This is a bit of a challenge if you don't know what you're doing. In my case it didn't help either.

Now for the solution.... Get rid of your HP printer (local recycling) and buy a printer of a brand that does offer good service on their products.

I'll just sold the 5 combo packages of 933Xl/932XL ink that I always kept since it was always giving messages of the ink running out of at least one of the colors.

So for the mutch antisipaed solution... Take your loss on the HP printer and replace it with a printer of another brand.

HP Recommended

the very same problem of missing or failed printhead error is not allowing me to print.. i have turned of and rebooted 3x times today.. and i am still stuck..pls advise on what to do..thank you

HP Recommended

Getting the same message on my 6700, have tried all the suggested fixes, including replacing the print cartridges at great expense. There is no software update available for my printer, which is now is out of warranty, so I guess the only option is to throw it away ang replace it with a non-HP product. They know about this problem and should do something about it instead of ignoring it and alienating their customers. 

HP Recommended

UPDATE: There were NO FIXES for this problem, in my experience with it. Exasperated and e-mailing an Office Depot employee multiple times to forward my e-mails to her manager that explained that all of these potential solutions were of no use, I just went into the same Office Depot one rainy night, explained to a different manager this problem that we've all been having, that we've all exhausted our remedies found here at this Forum and via our telephone conversations and e-mails with HP customer service folks, and that my Office Depot extended warranty still had about one  year left on it. 

Turns out, the first manager I dealt with was an idiot and was merely blowing me off. The second manager I dealt with reviewed my extended warranty date on my receipt, was very understanding, apologetic, and offered me a store credit for the full purchase amount, or a new printer. That took all of 2-3 minutes. The first store manager had me on a wild goose chase. 

I believe that this is an inherent 6700 model defect for which HP should replace each purchaser's printer, or issue credit, who experiences this problem.  If that second Office Depot manager gave me any additional grief, like the first manager did, I was ready to cease being an HP customer, and my entire family and I have been very long-time HP customers.

HP, your reputation is on the line in these cases where a problem does not appear to be an idiosyncratic one, but one that, based on the posts in this Forum, very much appears to be systematic and inherent in the HP 6700 printer. I think there should be a recall, IMHO. 

HP Recommended

I agree.

To me it looks like a design fault or just low quality products. I took the printer to recycling although it feels like writing your car off because it has a flat tire.

As a system manager for several companies with more than 30 printers in use, I've had a lot of experience with bad quality of HP printers and even worse with their lack of usefull afterservice.

Despite the fact that most of their printers work fine, the time it takes to get problems solved (or not) is just too high.

For each printer that needs to be replaced I will compare options of other brands. Starting with the replacement of my personal 6700.

HP Recommended

my printer has message.....printhead missing, not detected or incorrectly installed

HP Recommended
If you read this forum you'll quickly discover there is no fix for this problem. If the printer is under warranty, call HP and get a credit to buy a different printer or return it to the place where it was purchased for a refund. Otherwise, go immediately to the neatest cliff and throw it off. Then go buy a new printer. 😩
HP Recommended

MY print head is out of warranty, 14 months old.  HP helped me one time, sent me a new yellow cartridge, it worked, then a month later after warrantly it failed.  i bought another yellow cartridge, it works for a few weeks or month, fails again. i am on my third for fourth yellow cartridge.  yellow ink leaks out of the print head or cartridge.  The cartridge is not removable.  it appears the clear plastic receiver for the yellow cartridge has a harline crack in it.  Can you suggest a fix?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.