Question

Tutor
cdickey14
Message 1 of 14 (1,572 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet 6700 all in one printer

My computer - Toshiba Laptop - will not recognize my new HP Officejet 6700 as the default printer - it prints word documents fine but others it will not allow me to select the correct printer to print - the dropdown box to select the default printer does not list my printer and in the printers window it will not let me select the 6700 as the default although the 6700 is listed.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 14 (1,554 Views)

What OS are you using?

How is the printer connected to the computer?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://goo.gl/3DAkq
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
cdickey14
Message 3 of 14 (1,547 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6700 all in one printer

I am using Windows Vista (32 bit) and the printer is wireless - which seems to work fine (Faxing, scanning, printing from Word).  I will try the link you posted and see if it can diagnose the problem.  Thank you :smileyhappy:

Tutor
cdickey14
Message 4 of 14 (1,544 Views)

I ran the utility, it still is recognizing my old (unistalled) printer as the default.  When I click "make this your default printer" at the appropriate time, nothing happens.  Test page prints fine.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 5 of 14 (1,517 Views)

Check your printer folder and see if the old install is still there. Click on the Start menu. Click on Printers. When the folder opens, look for the old install of the printer. If it's there, right click on the old install and select Remove Device/Delete. Let me know what you find.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
cdickey14
Message 6 of 14 (1,514 Views)

I deleted that printer already.  In fact, I (after working a long time on this problem) searched files and folders and deleted EVERY HP file I had.  Then I reistalled the HP 6700.  That didn't fix the problem either.  I still cannot select a default printer...not the 6700 or anything else (there are a couple of other unused, unknown printer icons...Broderbund PDF converter, Microsoft XPS document writer). 

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 7 of 14 (1,511 Views)

The XPS writer is microsoft installed and comes with the OS. The Boderbund PDF converter would be part of a third party program that was installed on the computer. I don't think the XPS writer can be uninstalled. You may be able to uninstall the other one though. There may be a problem with the registry components of the print spooler. Run Microsoft Fixit and see if that corrects the problem. Let me know what happens.

http://goo.gl/25lFz
Signature
Tutor
cdickey14
Message 8 of 14 (1,508 Views)

Not sure how to unistall the Broderbund one...can you instruct?I ran the Microsoft Fix it and it did not seem to do anything...when it got to the place at the end where it sends the results, I kept getting an error message and retry or cancel.  After several attempts, I just hit cancel.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 9 of 14 (1,488 Views)

The Broderbund PDF writer was most likely installed with one of the Broderbund software packages. They make several different types of software and any one of them could have installed with it. I'll link to their website so you can see if you have any of their software. You may have to uninstall that software to get rid of that PDF writer. You may just be able to right-click on it and select Delete/Remove Device. I'm thinking that might not be the problem. I'm starting to think you may have a problem with your Device Manager. Unfortunately the only way to repair the Device manager is to format and reinstall the OS. You can test to see if that is the problem by trying to install a different device. If the device installs okay, then the Device Manager is okay. If the device isn't working like it should after the install, then the Device Manager is corrupted and you will need to reinstall your OS. Let me know what you find.
Signature
Tutor
cdickey14
Message 10 of 14 (1,484 Views)

Since I cannot make any of the devices a "default" one, I don't think unistalling the Broderbund PDF converter will accomplish anything except I'll lose my Print Shop program that I use fairly often.  It's an older card/poster making program.  I am not even going to consider reformatting my OS.  I would probably end up having to purchase a new computer if I tried that.  I don't have another device (a printer) to try to install it and see if it would allow it to be the default.  Seems like any option at this point is not an easy one. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation