HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g CM750A goes offline after fax processing (524 Views)
Teacher
pbug56
Message 1 of 36 (524 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g CM750A goes offline after fax processing

Overall, I really like my 8600 N911G CM750A (the one with the nice screen, etc.).  Huge improvement over the 8500 series, fast, quiet, nicely featured.  However, some time after it sends or receives a fax, it takes itself offline, and has to be power cycled to be put back online.  At the time, HP Tech Support had me do a full reset, update the firmware, all the usual troubleshooting steps.  Nothing helped, and they basically just walked away from the problem. 

I don't use it every day - but when I do, odds are good that it won't respond.  I power cycle it, and then it works really well for a while.  Now the obvious question; is this a hardware problem, perhaps in a chip?  Or, what I would hope, could it be a firmware problem?  Either way, it would be real nice if HP would take ownership of the problem - otherwise this 8600 series really won't be any better the problematic 8500's, and that would be a shame.

BTW, I've been using HP printers for many years.  But the more recent models are far less reliable then say my old 7310XI.

If anyone cares, all the PCs accessing this printer (which is plugged into a gigabit switch) are running Win 7 Pro or Home Premium, and I've tried to keep all HP software and drivers up to date.  The problem is on the printer - not the PC's, and has occurred on 2 different gigabit switches.  And any time it occurs, odds are that a fax was recently sent or received or attempted.  Current firmware version is CLP1CN1232AR, and page count about 364.  The unit went online early March 2012 as a replacement for an 8500.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 36 (511 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g CM750A goes offline after fax processing

I just want to make sure I have a complete understanding of what you mean by "offline."  Are you having to use the Wireless Setup Wizard after a fax knocks the printer off of the wireless network?  Actually, you say you have to turn the printer off and back on again to get it back online so let me ask you a few questions just to make sure I have the information I need to try to help you.   Do you feel there is a possibility it is going to sleep and not waking back up or are you certain it is only after a fax?

Is it the PC's or the printer that's plugged into a gigabit switch as you say?  I am not worried this has anything to do with your computers but by the way you described the connection I am still a little unclear.  Sometimes when you go to the print queue to "See What's Printing" the words "Offline" will appear there.  Others refer to the term offline versus being online with the internet.

I know you sort of answered this but I want to be clear.  Did you install the printer onto these computers via USB, wireless connection, or ethernet (to the switch)? 

Is the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet?

And last question, is this a designated fax line?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Teacher
pbug56
Message 3 of 36 (506 Views)

The printer is hooked up to a phone line (also used for voice).  Networking is by wired ethernet directly to a gigabit router, pc's access the router either by wired ethernet or by wifi (makes no difference).  A fax is typically sent from the unit and its keyboard, faxes usually just get printed.  Sometime after either happens, we will notice that the printer no longer shows up on the network.  Only way to 'fix' it is to unplug the power cord, wait a few seconds, and plug it back it in; then it works normally.  And as far as I can tell, it does not seem to happen otherwise.

And the printer is plugged into a surge suppressor and from there into a wall outlet. 

BTW, I'm a long time IT professional.  Printer wise I also have an HP 7310xi, an HP 6998, Canon MX882, and long ago had an HP IIP LJ and an early HP AIO.  This 8600 replaced an unreliable refurb 8500 which replaced a brand new out of the box 8500 which had the problem cited in the original thread here.  The problem with the 8600 occurs on any of my PC's whether the PC's are wifi or wired.  When it happens the keypad is unusable - nothing on the printer works.  HP kind of acknowledged the problem many months ago, had me do a full 'factory' reset, and then stopped responding even after the problem was escalated.  As to what the problem is, maybe it 'goes to sleep' but won't 'wake up'.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 36 (503 Views)

Being an IT professional I don't want to go into the logistics of this printer being in a wall outlet with you.  I have had people argue with me in regards to  taking this printer out of a surge protector.  I don't want to waste your time explaining the "science" behind it but you would not believe some of the crazy problems I have fixed just simply plugging it into a wall.  It is seriously your call if you want to try plugging it into a wall just to eliminate this as a factor but I have a few more suggestions.

If you feel this may be consistent with faxing, then try adjusting these settings: Setup Menu>>Fax Settings>>Advanced Fax Settings>> Turn ECM (error correction mode) OFF and Fax Speed: SLOW.

What you have described is not one of the symptoms of a faulty surge protector by no means but I would like to point out the mere possibility of this being a power-related issue.  My first instinct tells me that this printer is going to sleep and it could very well be that the fax is causing it to do so.  I was always under the interpretation that it could have something to do with the wireless radio card inside the printer.  Is your wireless radio light on?  It is suppose to disable when it is plugged in with an ethernet cord but so is the auto-off feature.

Let me know if you have tried the above fax settings, plugged it into a wall outlet, and ensured the wireless radio is OFF and I will do my best to see what else could possibly cause this if it happens again.  The HP fax back test line is 1-888-473-2963.  It will automatically reply back.  This way you can test your fax without having to bother anyone with your tests. :smileyhappy: I'm not bothered by it.  In fact, I may be able to get some information from it if I need to.

Teacher
pbug56
Message 5 of 36 (496 Views)

Wireless radio is turned OFF and has been the whole time.  It's not practical to plug it into the wall.   But is it going into some sort of sleep mode?  That has been a working theory since the first time it happened - especially when it's happened after receiving a fax.  But at one point HP tech support had me look for any sign of any sleep mode being activated by menu settings and we didn't find any.    We may see a popup message on one of the PC's saying that the scan ability is not functioning, or we try to print and nothing happens, or I walk by the printer and see that it does not look right (panel wise).  I spent many hours working on this early on with HP doing many things they suggested, to no avail.  Our conclusion at the time was that either there was a fault in the hardware or the firmware.

BTW, judging from a google search, this does not seem to be an unusual problem with the 8600 line...

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 36 (493 Views)

What makes this rare is the fax causing it to go to sleep.  If plugging it into a wall outlet isn't an option then I will keep my eyes open for other tips to try.  Since you have already called in and looked into this then you probably have tried everything but, again, I will keep researching and hopefully it can be fixed.

Teacher
pbug56
Message 7 of 36 (490 Views)

I did spend a lot of time on it; HP just gave up.  And I've googled so many other complaints that I rather doubt I've missed anything, but hey, who knows.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 8 of 36 (484 Views)

I run across some very interesting fixes so I just want you to know I won't give up.  I may not post until I see something helpful but I have to wonder if they actually gave up or (fingers crossed) working on a firmware update.  I'm posting to you now unable to read previous steps you have done so forgive me if I have asked this already or if you said you did this already but did you set a static IP from within the embedded web server?

Type in the printer's IP address in a web browser and double-check that your DNS server is Google's.  Go to the Network tab in the EWS and click IPv4 and make sure your preferred DNS server is 8.8.8.8 and the alternate is 8.8.4.4.  I use that server for eFax and ePrint problems, so maybe this will help your hardware stay on-line as well.  

Since the link above about setting a static IP isn't the greatest one for you, check out the screenshot of my printer to help you if you need it:

static ip 8600.PNG

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 9 of 36 (484 Views)

I run across some very interesting fixes so I just want you to know I won't give up.  I may not post until I see something helpful but I have to wonder if they actually gave up or (fingers crossed) working on a firmware update.  I'm posting to you now unable to read previous steps you have done so forgive me if I have asked this already or if you said you did this already but did you set a static IP from within the embedded web server?

Type in the printer's IP address in a web browser and double-check that your DNS server is Google's.  Go to the Network tab in the EWS and click IPv4 and make sure your preferred DNS server is 8.8.8.8 and the alternate is 8.8.4.4.  I use that server for eFax and ePrint problems, so maybe this will help your hardware stay on-line as well.  

Since the link above about setting a static IP isn't the greatest one for you, check out the screenshot of my printer to help you if you need it:

Teacher
pbug56
Message 10 of 36 (466 Views)

I use my router (WNDR4000) to establish a fixed IP for every printer I have (since printer software doesn't work well with changing IPs for the printers).  DNS is Open DNS and is also set on the router (for all devices to pickup).   I'm only using IPV4 since that's all Cablevision supports so far.  I don't use efax or eprint.  I do most printing from Win 7 (my antique XP system is usually hibernating).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation