Question
HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g CM750A goes offline after fax processing
Replies (35)

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 11 of 36 (329 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g CM750A goes offline after fax processing

Sorry for the double-post.  The forums did not like my picture.  Let me explain this a little better,  I set a static IP for people who are having a problem with eFax showing that the printer is offline although it is not.  I completely understand that you don't use those features however setting a static IP using my numbers works 99.9% of the time for all sorts of problems.  If you haven't tried my suggestion then I strongly recommend it but of course it is entirely up to you.  I trust that you know what you are talking about so I would not dare say your settings are incorrect by no means.  However, if you look at the EWS screen shot I took and want to give it a try, at least you know you can change it back if it doesn't work.  I am quite excited you haven't tried that yet because I honestly feel like that will help you if it is, in fact, the fax machine causing the printer to go offline.  It also keeps printers from going to sleep as well.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Teacher
pbug56
Message 12 of 36 (327 Views)

I can understand how a locked down IP is needed to find a printer on a network, especially if drivers are designed to look for the IP address instead of the hostname.  But the efax and such functions work by the printer connecting to an HP server and users connecting to the server as well.  And I've been taught that it's ok to use DHCP to lock down an IP, but that it's a very bad idea to assign a static address to devices like printers on the devices themselves (IOTW not using DHCP).  It's far to easy to get address conflicts when you bypass DHCP.

I still maintain my belief that my problem, and the problem that other people are reporting, is caused by a hardware or firmware problem in the printers.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 13 of 36 (326 Views)

IOTW - I see now why you did that.  Yes it is very likely hardware, I do not exclude that as a possibility.  I really like my quick fixes when speaking with a common (not educated) user and when I get a person like you, it does make it difficult to be creative enough to fix things that can stump people such as yourself.  I am at that point again where I have run out of suggestions off the top of my head but again I will keep your problem in the forefront of my research.  Feel free to share a fix for us all if you find one too.  I have your thread setup for email notifications so keep me posted if it goes away or gets worse as I will do the same for you.

Teacher
pbug56
Message 14 of 36 (320 Views)

I'm hoping that maybe someone with a brain and conciense at HP may notice this thread and try and look into the problem sometime before the printer is retired!  :-)

All kidding aside, I first started learning programming in 1971 while still in high school.  A few years later I was learning COBOL, and IBM BAL (Basic Assembler Language), and an early version of BASIC.  I've worked on numerous systems both on hardware and software, and printers, was a DBA and more.  I also have some expertise in disaster recovery planning and testing, and in post disaster recovery.  Etc.!  :-)

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 15 of 36 (314 Views)

Very very exciting!  I find intelligence is more of a born trait than a learned one so any sign of it proves to be most challenging but also the most rewarding as I learn from you more than you know.  Programming itself is a bit beyond me because my training from college, the military, and working with HP consists mostly on electronic equipment repair (hands-on). I am confident that my suggestions to plug the printer into a wall outlet and setting a static IP with the Google DNS will resolve this for you. You could also set that same IP within the router to keep any IP conflicts out of this as well.  It's just I can't know for certain until it's tried.  I am highly regarded here as having a brain and my sincerity to help you goes beyond my job as a technical agent.  I suggest these steps because I know.  I have seen this work.  Do not take my words the wrong way when I say this but these posts do get read by the engineers if I bring it to their attention.  Even all comments, feelings, and knowledge from the customers are all taken into consideration but until one has totally exhausted all possible fixes, only then can I forward this up for you and it be taken seriously (if you get what I'm saying).  I know you said the wall outlet is not possible at this moment, but by process of elimination, it would be nice to rule-out this being a power-related issue.  It's entirely up to you, friend, just know a person with a brain and conscious is reading this and trying to help. :smileyhappy: 

Teacher
pbug56
Message 16 of 36 (310 Views)

HP low level tech support worked on this with me on the phone (presumably from India).  They refused to escalate it to a higher level when all the scripts they had been given had been run through.  Resets, ensuring the firmware was current, etc.  At that point they had no clue - and walked away from it.

I also have an HP 6998.  I should have never bought a wireless printer that had no LCD panel.  This one needs even more power cycling then the 8600 - in its case lots of leds on the front panel suddenly start flashing, and it only clears and starts working again after you power down and up.  And when it does work it is very slow and very noisy - but it does use the same cartridges as my 7310XI - which still works fairly well after 10 years!

Given the poor support for the 8600, it will be the last HP printer I'll ever get.  At about the same time, I bought one of my kids a Canon MX882.  Takes seconds to change cartridges (the empty ones even flash an LED), it is very quiet, quick, and well behaved.  Canon tech support so far seems less needed but also far more responsive. 

I'll also likely never buy another HP PC.  The one desktop I got 10 years ago was far less capable then HP indicated it was, hard to repair, next to impossible to upgrade (because of nonstandard items like the PSU).  The older HP laptop I have was built to be hard to repair and impossible to upgrade.  The next one was pretty decent but when it had problems (under extended warranty), the repair support was horrible, and a tech even stole the HP blu ray drive I'd installed.  That laptop had great wifi - until the wifi failed.  The replacement laptop had wifi that was less capable then wireless G.  Plus there are graphics driver problems that HP refuses to deal with (including that it is not compatible with IE10 on Win 7 as per Microsoft).

HP has said it wants to get out of the PC business.  The way they treat customers, they will finally succeed at that plan!  And get out of the printer business too!

I'm not aiming this at you - I've used a lot of good HP equipment over the years, but that point is clearly long over.  They've wasted a great franchise.  They've destroyed the Compaq line, their own HP line, the VAX / ALPHA line (they got from Digital Equipment Corp), the Palm line, and probably a few more.  IMHO they are no longer a great computer company but a wrecker of good computer companies.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 17 of 36 (305 Views)

I know you're not aiming this at me. I asked for it :smileyhappy: If I had been through what you have been through I would feel the same way.  I feel your frustrations and to be flogging a dead horse may be the best cliche for this problem, huh? I would like to think that when the world started mass producing technology, the industry in general lost sight of what is important - durability.  I anxiously await the day things are built by hand again but I won't hold my breath.  HP did show me one thing that I found respectable and, as they may lose you as a customer, the morals and ethics engraved upon me during training was because of people like you who were mistreated but spoke up.  You have left me to wonder if there is anything I can do to go above and beyond for you.  No promises as I am clearly new at the forums.  I'm not trying to convince you to buy more stuff.  I just want to share with you that I believe they still care.  And, in the meantime, if I can help you get your printer working at full capacity again, maybe a little faith restored at the very least.  Thank you for your input regardless.

Sincerely,

Cass

Teacher
pbug56
Message 18 of 36 (303 Views)

If you can get the HP engineers to work on this printer problem that would be a big start.  Getting HP to fix its overall product direction is way beyond one one employee can do.  I even reached out to the 'President's line' to try to help them understand how they are driving customers away.  One of my favorite's - in the current lines of laptops, they include extremely poor quality wifi cards.  If you try to install a better one, the laptop bios prevents the bios from booting - even if the replacement wifi card comes from HP tech support.  Huge numbers of people have complained about this; some even modify the bios to get around it.  This sort of attitude is killing the firm.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 19 of 36 (285 Views)

I spoke to handful of people and they all agreed this sounds like something similar to what happens when a printer is plugged into a "faulty" or "over-worked" surge protector.  I strongly suggest, still, trying to plug the printer directly into a wall outlet or setting the DNS server to Google's (at least for troubleshooting purposes) before I am really going to get a whole lot of support in my argument for you.  The engineers will not hear me out too well until I can say I have totally exhausted all troubleshooting steps.  I really want to help totally resolve this for you but I have come to a dead end until the two basic steps are confirmed to not be the problem.  Thank you for your time and patience while I looked into this and I hope you find my support relative and useful.  

Teacher
pbug56
Message 20 of 36 (280 Views)

The printer has been plugged in to different strips.  As far as I can tell AC power is not the issue, especially as it can go a couple weeks at a time without problems.  I've even tried having it plugged into a UPS; it made no difference.  As to DNS, that's nothing to do with it; it's not that I can't find it on my LOCAL network at times, it basically goes into a state where nothing works.  Again, I'm not using eprint and finding that the printer is not reachable that way, it is on a LAN, and DNS is not an issue for what I'm doing.

I'm still convinced there is a fault either in the hardware or in the firmware.  All the log shows is code 72234.

And I'm not the only one having freeze ups like this; here is an example.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/My-Officejet-Pro-8600-Plus-is-freezing-...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation