Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey papaney1,

I see you are looking for how to make the Black Ink Only option a default setting.  To do this please follow the steps below:

• Open the Devices and Printers folder
  • Right click on the installed 8600
  • Select "Printer Preferences" out of the list of options
  • This will open the same window you have seen, but will set it as default when you save the option

As to the color ink running out question:

• If a color cartridge becomes empty or registers as empty during a print job, then the unit will finish this job before requiring the cartridge change.  However, once this job is processed it will display the cartridge change error on the display requiring the new cartridge to resume printing.

I see lots of questions about ink usage and reasoning behind why color inks are required in this type of Individual Ink Cartridge (IIC) inkjet printer.  As to ink usage please take a look at the article found here.  If you have any questions I will do my best in explaining the features and nature of this print mechanism.

Have a wonderful day,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you Jason for the explanation on how to change the default settings and for the article link. As for the color cartriges being required for black ink only printing, I guess there is no conspiracy to cheat customers just a very logical print mechanism that has to be planned for. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

No problem, papaney1.  I am glad I was able to assist with the changing of the default settings for you.  

Thank you for your participation in the HP Consumer Support Forums!  If there are any further questions or support needed please do not hesitate to post again here in the forums.  There are many other customers and HP employees who volunteer their time to work together in solving issues in the HP Consumer Support Forums who are more than willing to help any in way they can.  As well, I am willing to help where I can as well.  

I wish you the best in all your future printing needs!

Happy Printing,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
Good luck with that- I have repeatedly reset print settings to no avail. The printer simply does not print in any mode if any cartridge is empty or absent. I would love to be proven wrong on this.
HP Recommended

I know it won't print without a cartrige. I was trying to explain that this "problem" is one that needs to be prepared for in advance by not having empty cartriges installed. I am not trying to find a way around the way the printer is made to function. My printer came with the color cartriges that I plan on having for a long time because I rarely need to print anything in color. The link Jason posted clearly states that this printer, being a IIC, needs all cartriges installed in order for it to print. Here is the section:

For example, a driver color setting (by selecting "print in grayscale with the black cartridge only" in printing preferences) specifies printing using only black ink. In addition, many IPH printers can operate in "reserve mode," which allows the user to continue to print with just the black cartridge when the color cartridge is removed or not installed. In HP IIC systems, all supplies are required to be installed in the printer for the printer to function. (empahsis mine)

Why it needs all supplies installed to function? I don't know and don't care. 

Why does it not print with empty color cartriges installed (the first question of the person that started this thread)? I don't know and it doesn't really matter. Have one set of color cartriges on reserve in case one of the ones you have runs out of ink. 

Don't want to hassle with this "problem"? Own another printer that is not an IIC inkjet printer.

HP Recommended

I get it if you need new color cartridges but I just put in a new magenta last week and didn't use color for anything and now it is tell me that I have to replace that cartridge.  I know its not empty and I have been reading that plenty of other HP users are having the same problem.  Its unfair that I have to keep buying new ink just to get my printer to print in black, they are not cheap!!!  This is my second HP printer and my first I had ink troubles too, it was cheaper to buy a new printer (is that HP's game?)  I think with all the people that are having the same problem, HP should do something about it!  Or maybe someone can start a class action lawsuit?

HP Recommended
That's fine but when you put in a new cartridge and don't use any color and a week later its saying that the cartridge is empty, there's something wrong. You go buy a new cartridge which is not cheap then a few days later another message comes up that another one is empty when you know that one is full too!
With all the money I spent on changing cartridges, I could have bought another printer! I love my officejet otherwise and its a real shame that no one can fix this problem!
HP Recommended

Obviously it shouldn't be telling you to replace the cartrige if you just put in a new one and haven't been printing in color. So there might be something seriously wrong with the estimated ink levels in the cartrige the printer is recognizing.

If you have a scale that will weigh to 1/10th of a gram in accuracy, what I recommend you do is to weigh the cartriges you have installed or are going to install and keep track of these weights every X period of time you wish to. If you haven't been using the color cartriges at all but have been printing in black ink only, then there should be *minimal* change in the weights, not a zero change because some color ink is used to prink in black ink only printing. (What is minimal is hard to say but the page yield for these color cartriges is about 700 pages in the  ISO 24711 test for this printer. There are 8.o ml (1ml=1gram) of ink in the magneta & yellow and 8.5 ml in the cyan. So this is very roughly about 100 pages per 1 ml for mixed color and black ink printing. I have no clue as to how much color ink is used for black ink only printing.) 

If you receive new messages saying to change a color cartrige and there had been no significant weight change (let's say less than 1 gram) in that cartrige that you have kept track of, then something is very wrong and you need to look into your options of what to do with this printer.

HP Recommended

I agree completely with all above sentiments. Today  my 8600 refused to print when i had two very important Leases that needed to be delivered to prospect. This sucks.  It is such a major inconvenience buyers should be made aware at purchase.  I would not have purchased. 

Option...I'm off to  return the 8600, will seek a full refund, will replace with a product that lacks this flaw. Otherwise I like the 8600. 

However,{Content Removed}

HP Recommended

As a community we have established that: 1) There are multiple ways in which HP will force consumption of color ink when the user only wants to use black, 2) Selecting black only is frequently over-ridden and reset by the printer/software, 3) The printer will frequently force you to replace color ink when the cartirdges should be full, 4) Hard-wired interlocks prevent the user from removing the color cartridge to prevent the printer from using unnecessary color ink, 5) Confusing settings (such as monocrome vs. grey scale) increase the likelihood of color simulation of black instead of actual black and 6) Color ink is much more expensive than black.  This is pretty conclusive evidence that HP has an intentional business practice to increase profits by forcing its customers into a higher revenue supply pattern than they need.

The only apparent solution, other than a class action suit which could be emotionally quite satisfying, is to send a message with our feet and move to other companies printers that might not be as nicely designed as the 8600 but which are at least not contributing to a company that appears intent on exploiting its customers.

And I am a 20 year HP customer that used to think HP was one of the great American companies.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.