Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I've sent an email to Meg Whitman to investigate this issue holistically.

Thanks
HP Recommended

Let's hope that gets some useful response.

It's completely logical to switch to printing only in black when the color runs on a printer with a separate black cartridge.  To suddenly block all printing capability when a single color cartridge runs out is an unnecessarily harsh solution for a domestic/small office printer.

Even if the problem is somehow inherent in the way this printer is designed, the way it's handled means customers find out about it in the worst possible way. 

- As an affected customer it has inconvenienced me directly and destroyed my until now high opinion of HP printers

- As an ex-HP tech I hate the bad PR this is creating.  (FYI, because of my background people ask me for advice on equipment purchases.  I used to happily recommend HP printers, now I recommend other brands - and to me that sucks.)

HP Recommended

Pray tell me Rainbow7000 why are you sending private messages to @DeathtoHP666 as a HP rep when subject effects us all?

Do I need to change my name to SlaughterHP to get a response?

HP Recommended
Private message from Rainbow7000 was useless. He is looking for printer model and postal address.. May be HP is trying to shut me up by offering some cheap gift card or new printer. I replied back told him not to contact me I also copied HP CEO Meg Whitman and Federal trade commission secretary..

Hopefully they'll come up with some solution to fix this issue for all.

Obviously HP is trying make money by selling consumables which is profitable, but they MUST stop DAY LIGHT Robbery.

BTW - I've hand picked few posting from this forum attached it to my email to Meg Whitman.

HP Recommended

Hi @Rainbow7000

I have been following this thread for months in the hope that a resolution will be posted. Can you please take responsibility for responding to let us know if this is even being looked at?

HP Recommended

I did exactly as you suggest.  Thank you, but there is still prints only in color.  Yikes, I hate this printer.  Taking it back to Sam'sclub.  I can not continue to print in color like this.  Thanks for your help anyway.

HP Recommended

Link is broken, VladimirPutin.

Can you provide another way to find it?

HP Recommended

Which model are you running?

- HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a

- HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer - N911g

- HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium e-All-in-One - N911n

I bought the

- HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a

If this problem occurs with the basic (N911a) model only, then it could be FIXED WITH FIRMWARE.

If it's across the entire range, then it's a fundamental problem with the range.

HP Recommended

I am using the HP Officejet Pro 8625.

I will say though, the Properties Dialog box says the printer is an 8620.  Don't know if that would make a difference.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I mean it will  not print only black and white or in grayscale.  I don't know why you sent that description.  I simply have projects that are done in color, but I want to print it out in black and white or grayscale.

This new printer does not have those two choices available in the Printer Properties dialog box! Why a supposed updated printer doesn't offer this is beyond me.  The printer that replaced this  HP Pro 8625 was7 years old and a much better printer than this new one.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.