Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

At least you have the option to do that.  

With my new 8625, even after going to HP 8620 (but mine is an 8625) icon on the desktop when I go to Preferences tab, Advanced, Printer Features "Print in Grayscale or Black Ink Only - -  isn't even a choice!

I am so frustrated with this HP printer.  In the last 15 years HP is the only thing I have ever purchased.  Time to rethink that!

HP Recommended

Rainbow 7000,

I'm not sure what type of assistance you may be able to offer, but after owning dozens of HP printers and other products over the years this 8600 issue is driving me mad. 

I'm  on the verge of taking this thing and parking it out by the street in front of my work with a billboard next to it voicing my displeasure about the quality of this particulat printer.  Taking it to the streets as the song says.

I want it gone and I want a replacement.

HP Recommended

Additional followup -

@ddm1960 wrote:

@ddm1960 wrote:

Just ran into this BS problem tonight while preparing for the day tomorrow.  I am a long time HP printer user and have several machines.  I can't print documents tonight because I am out of yellow ink even though I have 2 full black cartridges.  I will throw away this machine in the morning cartridges and all and never purchase another HP machine.

So .  final comment.  Went to fedex today to print copies instead of buying ink cartridge.  Trashed my 8600.  Was printing applications for a hiring event for a new business I am opening.  Timing is everything, my manager needs to buy a printer tomorrow.  He is buying a Brother with powdered ink cartridge instead of our stand HP.  Have 6 openings scheduled in next 18 months, non will have HP printers.  I appreciate the thought that I should send feedback to HP executive team but quite frankly this thread is a year and a half old and nine pages long, pretty much indicates HP level of interest in their customer.  Congratulations HP your interest in me and my interest in you are now exactly equal.

Having good luck with Epson WF 3640 for home office and Brother MFC-J470DW at one of my business offices.  No problem with life after HP.  Lots of choices.

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

The Magenta cartridge on my HP8600 is getting low, so the following message is displayed:

"HP recommends you have a replacement available for when the cartridge is depleted and will need to be replaced"

Why is the no warning to say that if runs out and you don't have a replacement it won't print any more?

What this message should say is: "GET A REPLACEMENT, because the HP8600 will stop printing if any of its four cartridges runs out!"

HP, How hard is it to make this minor change (for starters)?

HP Recommended

Luckily I got this printer at Costco.  It's going back this weekend.  This is the first printer I've owned that extorted color cartridges out of you and won't print in just black and white. 

There should be a nice big warning sticker on the box about this "feature".

Reading the Costco reviews shows many people have had errors after replacing the color ink cartridges and HP advises them to upgrade for $150-$250.  No way am I spending $75 on color cartridges just for the chance of a printer error that means I'll need to return the unit anyway!

I'm already out $75 for the useless (without color) 950XL 2-pack at this point anyway, but I got that from Costco as well so maybe they'll take that back too. Would have been nice if the pop-up message had said "THIS THING WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT COLOR CARTRIDGES, SO BUY THOSE TOO WHILE YOU'RE OUT PICKING UP BLACK!"

I will be taking my refund and buying anything but HP.  Shame too, before this issue, I thought this was a great all-in-one device.  Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hey TooManyIssues, you are lucky you have that option.

This weekend I finally gave up. Well done HP you have sucessfully made £45 ($73) form me. If this isn't resolved by the next time I "run out" of colour ink I will be putting the next £45 towards a different brand.

HP Recommended

OMG, something has changed!  The Cyan cartridge just ran out in the middle of a print job and the following message appeared:

"Replace empty cartridges or cancel and resend print job to use black ink only.

The option to use black ink only will be offered before the job prints."

It looks like HP have finally done something about this problem - yeah!

To everyone who put energy into providing feedback, complaints, posts, and emails about this problem, thank you.

And, to whoever finally took this on in HP and got something done about it - thank you 🙂

HP Recommended

Really? Not for me... Haven't put the cartridges in yet...

HP.png

HP Recommended

@Michael--D wrote:

OMG, something has changed!  The Cyan cartridge just ran out in the middle of a print job and the following message appeared:

To everyone who put energy into providing feedback, complaints, posts, and emails about this problem, thank you.

And, to whoever finally took this on in HP and got something done about it - thank you 🙂

Is this is true, congratulations to whoever dug my printer out of the garbage.

HP Recommended
@Michael--D wrote:

@ddm1960 wrote:

Is this is true, congratulations to whoever dug my printer out of the garbage.

Reply:

Yes, that happended to me - never seen that message/option before.  

Even though the message occurred, I didn't trust it at first and tested it worked before posting here.  The test was as follows:

1. I cancelled the print (as instructed) then generated a new print with color selected on my PC (printing handouts from MS-Powerpoint on a PC running Windows 7). 
  2. The HP printer notifcation window popped up on my PC saying the HP8600 could not print in color due to an empty cartridge and giving me the opton to cancel or print in black only (I didn't take a note of message, being too stunned by the fact that it was actually working this way!) 
  3. I took the print in black option and it worked! (I have the black only printout still sitting on my desk)

I've replaced the color cartridge and threw the old one out, so unfortunately can repeat the process. 

p.s. I'll see if I can retrieve the cartridge from the rubbish and if it's clean enough will see if I can repeat the process.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.