Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought this unit BECAUSE I was told I could print in black without refilling/changing color cartriges , the problem I had with my previuos printer (other brand, BIG scam)
All postings are dated 2013 HAS THIS BEEN FIXED BY HP?

Worse yet, my printer set on BLACK printing keeps printing in color. I reset the settings twice -- no change, no reply so far from HP...

HP Recommended

I too am going to return this piece of crap...it is unreasonable that a printer will not print in Black only mode.

HP Recommended

I agree. This is such a blatant attempt to manipulate the customer so that said customer 

is forced to use more ( unneeded ) ink supplies. 

I now not ony detest these practices , I absolutely loath them.

NEVER again HP   ..make your Higher Profit somewhwere else....and if they were giving away future models

I would walk away. 

HP Recommended

Just two days ago, my HP Officejet 8600 Pro Plus ran out of Cyan, and it gave me the options on a pop up dialogue box of replacing the cartridge or printing in black only.  I took black only just to test it, and it printed fine.  Maybe a Driver update improved this problem!  For what it is worth, the printer has been behaving very well for the last two months.  Previously I have been having trouble with the computer "losing" the printer.   I have the printer set up as a true network printer, plugged into the back of my router.  It is all working well.  

I have a windows 7, windows 8 and windows 8.1 computers on my home network.  All can use the printer fine.  

HP Recommended

No drop down box offers me any such option as " print in black only"

Further , I don't know how it would offerf that solution on some and not other computers.

HP Recommended

@MartinD28 wrote:

No drop down box offers me any such option as " print in black only"

Further , I don't know how it would offerf that solution on some and not other computers.

What operating system?   The options available from the driver will depend on what driver is installed.  Two computers may have different drivers, and provide different options.

From my Windows 7 x64 system the "black ink only" option is in Advanced, Printer Features, Print in Grayscale, Black Ink Only.

oj 8600 black.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
@Looksha wrote:

Just two days ago, my HP Officejet 8600 Pro Plus ran out of Cyan, and it gave me the options on a pop up dialogue box of replacing the cartridge or printing in black only.  I took black only just to test it, and it printed fine.  Maybe a Driver update improved this problem!  For what it is worth, the printer has been behaving very well for the last two months.  Previously I have been having trouble with the computer "losing" the printer.   I have the printer set up as a true network printer, plugged into the back of my router.  It is all working well.  

I have a windows 7, windows 8 and windows 8.1 computers on my home network.  All can use the printer fine.  

The option to print in black ink only with a low cyan cartridge is temporary - from page 91 of the user manual here (highlighted emphasis is mine):

Printing with black or color ink only

For regular usage, this product is not designed to print using only the black cartridge when the color cartridges are out of ink.

However, your printer is designed to let you print as long as possible when your cartridges start to run out of ink.

When there is sufficient ink in the printhead, the printer will offer you the use of black ink only when one or more of the color cartridges are out of ink, and the use of color ink only when the black cartridge is out of ink.

The amount that you can print using black or color ink only is limited, so have replacement ink cartridges available when you are printing with black or color ink only.

• When there is no longer sufficient ink to print, you will get a message that one or more cartridges are depleted, and you will need to replace the depleted cartridges before you resume printing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

goodbyecrap.JPG

Guys (and gals) I solved the problem!!!! 

I finally got rid of my printing problems with not being able to print in black when one of the colour cartridges went empty.

I threw away the crappy piece of sh*t ripoff product!!! 

As an environmentally concious IT-guy I safe removed the color patrons in a separate box and the mf-printer in the electronics waste container where it fits in fine with the older HP 4250tdn printers that did therir job for a LOT of years without complaining, although several heftypriced service and transfer unit kits..... Also note that amazing old IBM keyboard that I had to lay to rest after more than 15 years of service!!  That´s QUALITY! 

I will think more than twice before buying HP ripoff printers again.....

So do yourselves a favor ppl! 

HP Recommended

I am not sure if was due to a driver update, but just the last couple of days  (tax season) My red cardridge ran out, and I got a message on the screen of my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, and also on the screen of my computer,  that a color cartrige has run out; would you like to print black only?  I touch "OK" and it goes ahead and prints, black only.  It has done this for three days.  I do have a spare Magenta cartridge, but it is represhing to see it printing black only.   I was one of the first irritated users, two years back, but the problem seems to have gone away, either in the redesign of the cartrdges , or in a periodic driver update.  Right now I am very content with the speed and quality of the printing  and I have no intention of replacing the printer. 

HP Recommended

It's 1:45AM and I need to print a document for court for tomorrow early AM.  The 8630 printer tells me I am out of cyan ink. Big deal I think, I just need black, even draft quality black is fine. I go to setttings and tell the computer to print in black & white only. Try to print and same &*$^$%^ message. HP locked me out of my printer until I buy color ink I don't need!

I'm a manager at a company with 25,000 employees and I sure as heck will no longer recommend HP products. I will also no longer buy genuine HP ink cartridges. I already ordered color ink a couple days ago that will arrive today, but too late to do me any good today. 

You suck HP. This is the last HP printer we're ordering from you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.