HP Officejet Pro 8600 many problems (2340 Views)
Honor Student
berwin
Message 1 of 8 (2,340 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 many problems

At work we have had an Officejet Pro 8600 for about a year and have had problems from the start. I started working here about half a year so I don't know exactly when everything was started or how things were hooked up. When trying to print, there will be a notification saying "Unable to communicate with printer". When trying to do anything from the printer, it will say "Unable to copy, fax or scan". If I try to shut down the printer, the hp emlem will display and it will appear to be shutting down, but it never does. The only way to get the printer to work is to unplug the power cord for a couple of minutes, then plug it back in. It will print from any computer, scan, copy or fax for the next 20 or 30 minutes before having the same problems. Up until the last month or so, it would print anytime, but would not copy, scan or fax unless restarted.  The printer is on a network with 5 computers, one of which is the server. A few of the computers may have different operating systems but this computer is a Dell with 64 bit windows 7 home premium. I can get more details but I don't know what is necessary. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

B. Erwin

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 8 (2,312 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 many problems

Hey B. Erwin,

It sounds like the printer is having an issue with opening the various services on the unit.  Is this printer plugged into a direct wall outlet to ensure full voltage is met for all functions?

If the printer is plugged into a power strip or surge protector it can cause some of the functions to not work properly in the 8600.  

As well, I have the information to reset this unit back to a factory state.  It is possible that some of the internals of the printer are corrupted/becoming corrupt and may be resolved with a reset.  I will send this information to you via private messaging in the forums.  Before following the steps please read Bob_Headrick's thread on printer resets, found here.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
berwin
Message 3 of 8 (2,302 Views)

So far so good. When resetting the printer, it froze up and I eventually unplugged it and checked the voltage of the outlett which was at 120. It has restarted right now and appears to be working so far. We will see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Honor Student
berwin
Message 4 of 8 (2,300 Views)

After about 20-30 minutes after resetting the printer and going through the setup process, it displays the same "unable to scan, copy or fax" message.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 5 of 8 (2,274 Views)

Hey berwin,

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you. I am sorry to hear that the problem is continuing with your 8600.  At this point, with all the steps performed and the resets now done the next step is going be product replacement.  If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form: https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/phoneInput?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5061082

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Student
andersdds
Message 6 of 8 (1,809 Views)

Hi, my office jet 8600 has a double line down the center of the page when I use the copy feature. We are unable to use the copy feature for anything important because of the way it looks with the lines down the center.  What is the solution to this?

PhD Student
FixPrint
Message 7 of 8 (1,800 Views)

Hi andersdds,

I hate to hear you are having issues.  Click Here to complete steps for this issue.  We can try a semi-full reset if the issue persists, however this would require you to agree not to publish the steps.  If successful the reset would restore the unit to factory settings, and clear the memory.  All saved settings will be erased.  If you are still experiencing the issue after all steps have been completed, contact HP technical support to explore replacement options based on warranty status. Global contact information can be accessed Here.

Hope this helps!

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
I appreciate your input !
Thank You,
I work for HP.
PhD Student
FixPrint
Message 8 of 8 (1,734 Views)

Hi andersadds,

Are you still experiencing issues?

Regards, 

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
I appreciate your input !
Thank You,
I work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation