Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If you remove everything from the glass, feeder and ADF, pull the power cord on the printer for 30 seconds, plug it back in and wait for it to settle. Do you still have the black line?

Sometimes using the scanner before the printer has calibrated itself and settled can cause issues.

Let me know if that changes anything 🙂

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Great help. Thanks.

Black line came only when using feeder.

Indeed, thin glass strip was dirty as you suggested.

It worked:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Stripe showing only with Doc Feeder. Cleaned the left side of the glass as recommended. FIXED! Thank you.

HP Recommended

Worked for me too

HP Recommended

Still have the same problem and cannot use the scanner/copier.  Like I said in my last posts, this was purchased in January and started doing this shortly after.  Not likely to purchase HP printers anymore.

HP Recommended

Hi @DawnFranco,

Thanks for coming back, although I'm sorry to see it's because the problem is persisting.

As the issue happens on the glass and the feeder, in both Scan and Copy modes, I believe it's something hardware related.

Is the line in the same spot regardless of being done from the feeder or the glass?

Does the printer have the latest Firmware update?

Let me know and we'll see if we can get rid of it 🙂

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

We have only recently purchased our 8620. We have the same problem i.e. a long straigh black line which only appears when scanning or copying using the ADF. I have cleaned repeatedly, despite shining a torch on the thin glass plate on the LH side, which reveals nothing. I have also turned off the printer and unplugged as advised earlier in this thread, all to no availe. How do we get HP to fix this please - it looks like a design fault?

HP Recommended

Not to be outdone by a piece of equipment, whilst awaiting a forum response I've just gone and shone a much more powerful torch at the LH glass plate and saw the tiniest possible spec of something.

So, using a different cloth to earlier, I again gave the glass plate a really good clean and this time - hey presto - ADF scans and copies are now clear of the black line. I'm really surprised that a printer made by a firm of the calibre of HP has this susceptibility.

My advice now to anyone else with the same problem is don't give up and try and clean again and try difference cloths.

HP Recommended

I agree hp please come up with a more permanent fix when using the auto feed for copying or scanning. It would also be nice to hear why it happens. The vertical line(s) did not start appearing until the 2-3rd years.  Please explain why it appears  and why or why not you cannot come out with a permit ant fix. Thanks Jim McBride 

HP Recommended

This worked!  It was a single pixel wide line on the ADF only.  I had cleaned it lightly to no avail.  Then I got mean

and used wet paper towel, being sure to scrub it clean of anything stuck on, and then dried it.

Copies are now clean as a whistle I thought I would have to live with this thing forever..

Homer

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.