Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It gives me a false paperjam warning, I follow the steps shown. It then says missing or damaged printhead. It makes me turn the printer off, and when I turn it back it makes me run an alignment test. It does this at least once a day.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi there,

This article should cover the issue you are experiencing with the paperjam warning. This article will cover the printhead issue. Give the steps outlined a shot and let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

I have the same printer. I received this message last weekend, also stating that one of the ink cartridges was missing. Both false messages. I tried to power down the printer, then stated if I continued to power it down I could damage the printer. After messing with it for about a minute I could not resolved the problem so I tried to power it down. Couldn't so I pulled the plug, I know I'm not suppose to do this, but got very impatient with it.. I plugged it back in, powered on, then it proceeded to align the ink cartridges automatically, then afterwards everything was back to normal. I've had the printer about 2 months and this was the first and only problem I've had. Hope it doesn't happen again.

HP Recommended

Neither solution fixed the problem, as it made me turn it off because of a false paperjam, them a missing or damaged printhead notice. I unplugged it as described, but it still made me do an alignment page when powered back up. A waste of ink!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have marked the paper sensor on the image below. This part folds down as the paper passes over it and comes back up as soon as the paper completely passes through. The error "Paper Jam" is generated if the paper sensor did not come back up (or disengaged). Open the back panel of the printer and see if the paper sensor is in the proper position as shown on the photo below.

paper sensor.JPG

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

Yes, the paper sensor is not disengaging. Now what?!?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I was about to ask if there is something obstructing the sensor from disengaging but you probably already checked that. If it will not disengage then unfortunately the printer will need to be serviced (replaced). Call tech support and tell them about the false paper jam messages and the broken sensor.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

Actually, perhaps there's a real jam.  It's very dark inside the printer.  Once I missed a paper jam just by opening the door and looking inside.  One needs a flashlight, and night becomes day.  Hope that was the problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks Binary_Zen,

This was exactly the problem I was having with my printer.  I tapped the sensor lightly with a small screw driver and it popped right up.  It appears to be working as it springs right back up when I touch it.

This has been happening on and off for the last year.  I just check my warranty, it expired 10 days ago, so I had to find my own solution.  Now I know what to check for.

Thanks,

Wayne

HP Recommended

That worked! The paper sensor was stuck down.

@Binary_Zen wrote:

Hi,

I have marked the paper sensor on the image below. This part folds down as the paper passes over it and comes back up as soon as the paper completely passes through. The error "Paper Jam" is generated if the paper sensor did not come back up (or disengaged). Open the back panel of the printer and see if the paper sensor is in the proper position as shown on the photo below.

paper sensor.JPG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.