Question

Honor Student
dmcmillen
Message 1 of 4 (1,115 Views)

HP PhotoSmart 5510 Problem

I have only had my HP Photosmart 5510 (B111a) for 7 months and for the umteenth time I have replaced all my cartridges with brand new HP 564 cartridges.  After replacing the cartridges this last time only the black cartridge prints correctly.  All three brand new HP color cartridges print streaky blocks on the test print page.  I have performed multiple 1st and 2nd level cleanings as well as alignment, but to no avail.  

Wonder if I can clean the heads with some type of solvent and blow out with compressed air?

I have not been happy with this printer or HP. The 4ml cartridges are a joke. My old HP had 17ml cartridges. These don't last long at all. HP sells the xl cartridges, for twice the price of course and that's still only 8ml, still half what their old cartridges held. Cartridges were expensive before, but this is absolutely ridiculous and what a pain. I would like to have been a fly on the wall in those design meetings to find ways to increase profits.  The newer print technology may have better ink utilization, but I don't see it, and I don't see how increased utilization could make up for 4ml cartridges. This is so obviously a way HP has chosen to sell more cartridges.  Shame on you HP.

I bought this printer because I wanted wireless and needed to replace my old scanner and never suspected that anyone would ever design a printer with 4ml cartridges. I'm ready to switch to Canon or Epson.

Ok, enough ranting.

Anyone have any suggestions how to get this working.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 4 (1,104 Views)

Re: HP PhotoSmart 5510 Problem

It sounds like you might have a defective printhead.  The only way to fix it is to replace the printer.  Since it's only 7 months old, you should still be well within the 1 year warranty.  I would give tech support a call, if I were you.  They may be able to get you into a more ink efficient printer, since you seem to be displeased with this one, and they will definitely be able to replace your printer, if they need to.  You can reach tech support at 1-800-474-6836 in the US and Canada, international users click here.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
dmcmillen
Message 3 of 4 (1,100 Views)

Thanks Shane.  They are replacing the printer.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 4 (1,095 Views)

No problem.  :smileyhappy:

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation