Question

Student
tss808
Message 1 of 18 (6,894 Views)

HP Photosmart 5510 won't print

I've just bought the HP Photosmart 5510 and it won't print. I can connect it to my iPad and all the technical stuff, but when it comes to actually printing it says there is no Paper, which just isn't the case. I've tried putting the paper in every which way and it's not taking it in. I've Watched the feeder using a torch and it seems to be spinning but it's not able to feed in the paper. What is going on. I bought this printer to replace an older one which I had to connect to a wirelessrouter. I shouldn't have bothered. If anyone has had this problem before please help or can someone give me a contact number to call to have HP come and take it away and give me my money back, please.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 18 (6,873 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5510 won't print

Before I point you to the right number to call, try this document to fix the problem.  Let me know what happens.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
NoshJies
Message 3 of 18 (6,830 Views)

I've had a similar problem. I arrived at college, and hooked all my devices to the wifi here(MacBook, iPad, iPhone). Similiarly, I've connected my hp photosmart 5510 to the same wifi as all the other products. Now, back at home, when everything was connected to the same wifi, I could go on any device, such as my iPhone, hit "print" and my printer would show up as an air printer and would print with no issue. Here, however, no matter what device I use, either my iPad/iPhone can't find an air printer, or my MacBook says the printer is not connected, even though the printer says it's connected to the same wifi. Am I missing something? Please help.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 18 (6,821 Views)

I am very sorry.  I guess I forgot to embed the link in my last post.  Try the document in the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02911348&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
Alchemi1963
Message 5 of 18 (5,966 Views)

I have this problem, I cannot print. The printer is not new, but worked fine up until a week ago. The printer begins to pick up the paper but then stops and reports a paper jam or paper tray empty before the paper reaches the cleanout door, or the paper stops but the printer begins to print blind. I have followed all the troubleshooting tips to no avail. I have also cleaned all the rollers with platenclene which has not helped either. All rollers move freely, and there has been no external damage. Please help, I have children who need to print homework and having just bought new ink cartridges I dont particularly want to go out and buy a new printer.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 18 (5,918 Views)

The first thing to do would be to go through the document below to make sure there wasn't anything that got missed in the troubleshooting process.  You should also make sure that the firmware on the printer is up to date as this may be contributing to the problem.  I'll link those instructions below.  If the firmware is up to date and the steps in the paper jam document didn't help, try doing a hard reset on the printer.  Let me know what happens.

A 'Paper Jam' Message Displays on the Control Panel

Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates

To do a hard reset:
1. Make sure the printer is on.
2. Pull the power cord from the printer.
3. Pull the power cord from the wall.
4. Wait 30 seconds.
5. Plug the printer in and turn it on.

Signature
Honor Student
Alchemi1963
Message 7 of 18 (5,903 Views)

Have tried all the troubleshooting tips, hard resets, cleaning etc. The printer was set to auto update, so all the software/firmware is up to date, have checked and it reports that it is so. The printer now consistently starts to pick up the paper but it gets no further than the cleanout door (but does not actually enter that area), the printer begins to print blind. Only after I cancel the job, will it then report a paper jam. The paper is not crumpled in any way, and pulls smoothly from the rollers, it has simply stopped. All the rollers are in good condition and I have tried paper fresh out of the pack. The pick up rollers are stopping before the paper is delivered to the main rollers (tho I did notice slight "skidmarks" on some of the earlier sheets). Although the printer is not new, it has not had a hard life. It is only now at the end of it's first set of XL ink cartridges, so I am rather dismayed that it is playing up in this way already. I'm wondering if there is a factory reset available rather than the "hard reset" which has no effect.
Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 8 of 18 (5,889 Views)

There is one more reset that you can try.  I have sent you some steps via Private Message. Below is a link that will show you how to use this forum feature if you are not familiar with it.

How To Send A Private Message – Video:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to/How-To-Send-A-Private-Message-Video/td-p/8...

Signature
Student
Scaleburn
Message 9 of 18 (5,858 Views)

I am having the same problem! The paper starts to feed then stops before it starts printing. Updates are all current and I have cleaned everything and tried resetting it. What else can I do?

Student
Mcdermont1
Message 10 of 18 (5,650 Views)

I've had the same problem where the paper feeds in a little bit and then the printer attempts to print when the paper isn't fully loaded in at all. All of the rollers are working fine and I would presume there is a problem with the sensors telling it where the paper is. I have tried all of the troubleshooting techniques mentioned in the guides and would like to see if this other reset may help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation