Question

Honor Student
Rider199
Message 1 of 11 (2,247 Views)

HP Photosmart 5520 Borderless Printing

When I print a borderless 4x6 photo on my new HP 5520 printer, I get a very small border on two sides of the printed photo. Details - printing from Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, Best Quality, Borderless, using HP 4x6 Advanced Photo paper that came with the printer.

How can I get rid of the tiny border on two sides?

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 11 (2,233 Views)

Rider, have you gone to "Devices and Printers" right-clicked on the printer and changed the printer preferences to allow border-less printing? You will have to enable the feature on the printer for it to print truly border-less printing.

After right-clicking the printer, select "Printing Preferences" and under Advanced select to turn on borderless printing.

Let me know if this helps!
Honor Student
Rider199
Message 3 of 11 (2,230 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5520 Borderless Printing

Thank you for your reply.....I had already set my printer up as you suggested. Unfortunately the problem still exists. The leading edge and left side of the photo is borderless, while the right side and trailing edge have a 1 mm border....very tiny, but very white and very visible. It feels like the printer is not properly sensing the edge. Any other suggestions or might I have a defective printer?

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 11 (2,230 Views)

Rider, just to let you know that if you are working with Photoshop you have to be sure that there is no negative space around the image. Also, you might want to try following the instructions on this post here :

http://goo.gl/zCk2r

Look for the Deskjet 450 driver and install it. This could also fix the issue.

Let me know if this helps!
Honor Student
Rider199
Message 5 of 11 (2,222 Views)

Thank you for your suggestions. Here is what I have found:

1) I couldn't find driver 450 but I did instal 990c. It doesn't help because it does not have photo paper and photo sizes listed in its drop down menu

2) using the 5520 driver, the printer prints borderless correctly when printing from Windows Picture and Fax Viewer on either an XP or Windows 7 PC

3) using the 5520 driver, I still have a small border on 2 sides when printing from Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and also PSE 10 on an XP PC

So the problem seems to be with PSE's. I tried to find a reference/setting for negative space, but I can't find any settings. But I for sure have the printer set to 4x6 with tab and borderless printing.

Any suggestions on making the printer work properly with PSE 10?

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 11 (2,221 Views)

As I mentioned in my last post there is a chance that it deals with the program itself, and in this case that does appear to be the case. With PSE you have to be sure that the image in the program is 4x6, not just setting the preferences to adjust for it. If there is any negative space around the photo it will show.

For further assistance I would recommend contacting Adobe for further assistance.

Let me know how this goes!
Honor Student
Rider199
Message 7 of 11 (2,217 Views)

Thanks...while I could go down the Adobe path, the other piece of data is that I have two printers...an HP5520 and an older HP5650 deskjet. PSE prints borderless perfectly to the 5650 but not to the 5520....so it makes me think that Adobe is not my solution.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 8 of 11 (2,217 Views)

This sounds to me like our printer driver is conflicting with Adobe. So it could be an issue with either or both of the software packages.

I would recommend following the link below and updating the printer firmware:

http://goo.gl/Mnujc

If that does not resolve the problem, then I would uninstall the printer entirely from the computer (Programs and Features, Device Manager, Devices and Printers) and with that same link download the latest, full-feature software and drivers and install them on the computer.

Let me know how this goes!
Honor Student
geepondy
Message 9 of 11 (1,662 Views)

I have exact same problem as original poster except printer is PS7520 and Adobe Elements is version 11.  While one might think this is an Adobe problem as it will print ok using other printing software, I did not have this problem with my older HP deskjet that the 7520 replaced, likewise a Canon printer and software worked fine so therefore I'm inclined to believe it is an HP driver issue.  I really like to stick with Elements for everything and don't wish to have to switch applications every time I wish to print a photo.

I read this appears to be a common problem amongst Elements/HP printer users, it's hard to believe this problem has not been addressed by HP.

Anything new?

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 10 of 11 (1,624 Views)

You can try doing the same job using an alternate driver - 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/How-to-Assign-Alterna...

However, if the program works with other printers, that means that the software is configured to work with their drivers. The HP print drivers are responsible for receiving and manufaturing print jobs, sending the jobs in the format that the printer can interpret is the responsibility of the printer. If the printer is having issues printing with only one program, likely that program is not operating correctly. Have you tried to update Adobe PDF reader?

See how that goes nad let me know! 

-Spencer 

PS I hope you had a wonderful weekend! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation