Question

Honor Student
dfred
Message 1 of 12 (8,004 Views)

HP Photosmart 5520 printer black ink won't print

I have an HP Photosmart 5520 wireless, eprint and when I installed all new ink cartridges, the black one will not work!!! Any suggestions!?!?

I am running Windows 7

Thanks

dfred

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 2 of 12 (7,974 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5520 printer black ink won't print

Hi dfred,

I understand that your black ink isn't printing.  I would take a look at the document below.

Photosmart 5520

Let me know how it goes. 

Honor Student
dfred
Message 3 of 12 (7,963 Views)

I tried all that and still nothing. Very frustrated! I have only had this for 6 months and have not used it all that much!!! :-(

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 4 of 12 (7,947 Views)

If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call. HP Technical Support Case Call Form: If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call. HP Technical Support Case Call Form: https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/phoneInput?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5061082

Honor Student
dfred
Message 5 of 12 (7,939 Views)

I tried filling out form but it won't let me put in a country. Therefore it will not let me submit the form!!

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 6 of 12 (7,930 Views)

Hi dfred,

Try Hp support at this number 800-474-6836.

Let me know how it goes.

Student
H8WIND8
Message 7 of 12 (4,297 Views)

I just need to know how to get my black ink to print, everything else is working properly on my 5520hp photosmart.  It even makes the sound of printing before it spits out a blank page.  I haven't seen anything to address this single issue.

Honor Student
elektra
Message 8 of 12 (4,273 Views)

I have the same printer, purchased also approx 6 months ago, and also having this issue!

I have replaced all ink catridges, the three colours were purchased together in a photo pack, I purchased 564 XL black seperately.

When looking this up I found a youtube vide on cleaning the the screen thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OjJDeRuJ10

It's still not working, and of course I have an assignment due tomorrow, and just wasted 3 hours trying to sort this out...exteremly frustrating!   It seems this is a common issue, now wondering if I was even out of ink before,and already thrown the old one away.

Honor Student
elektra
Message 9 of 12 (4,270 Views)

And of course ten minutes after posting it's solved!

Thanks to step 4 in the above document: 

Step four: Clean the printheads
If you found defects on the test page, follow these steps to run a utility to clean the printheads.
  1. Make sure that plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper is loaded in the tray.
  2. From the control panel home screen, touch the Settings icon ( ), and then touch Tools .
  3. Touch the Down Arrow ( ), and then touch Clean Printhead . The product cleans the printheads, and then prints a test page.
  4. Review the print quality on the test page.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , there is no need to continue troubleshooting. The following precautions might prevent the issue in the future.

• Avoid leaving unprotected cartridges out of the printer for an extended period of time.
  • Always use the Power button to turn off the printer. This protects the cartridges from exposure to air.
  • If the issue persists , continue to the next step.

Right so now going to remember to check this before I replace the ink in future, and also remember to power off the printer.
Tutor
Blunticus
Message 10 of 12 (3,836 Views)

The issue with this printer is leaky black ink that tends to dry up and clog the printhead.  Manually cleaning the printhead using the HP software or throught the console does not work all the time.  If you rarely use the printer, this makes the issue a little worse, because the ink has dried significantly.  There is no documentation on removing and cleaning the printhead due to the fact that this specific model does not allow for its removal without disassembling the unit.  Searching the internet, I found no documentation at all, on any forums, on how to disassemble the unit, to remove the print head and clean it.  So I've made my own step by step guide that should fix your issue, as I had the same problem and it is now resolved.

Disclaimer:  I am not an HP technician.  Performing this disassembly will void your warranty if it has not already expired.  I am not responsible for any damage caused by YOU taking your printer apart.  I am only giving these steps to help those people out that are about to trash a decent printer.

You will need a small STAR HEADED screwdriver to remove the screws.

1.  Remove the sticker that has the model number on the cover, towards the right of the printer.  Underneath that sticker is a screw.  Remove it.

2.  Remove the control panel.  If you open the printer lid (as you would if replacing ink cartridges) and look from behind (flashlight needed), you'll see a little snap, simply press it down with one hand and remove the panel with the other starting from the left, and then right.  There will be some resistance, but it shouldn't break.  Careful!! There is a ribbon attached to it that must be removed safely.   Do not tear this ribbon.

3.  You will notice 2 silver screws under the control panel, left and right.  Remove those.

4.  With the lid still open, on the right side, there is a hinge that is hooked to the lid that goes under the cover of the printer.  Unhook it at the lid by pulling it towards the front of the printer.  It may be easier if the lid is not fully opened, and it will give a little resistance.  Don't worry, it wont break.  Oce you have it unhooked, open the lid all the way it can go and let it be.

5.  You will see a series of screws along the top perimeter of the cover.  Remove them all and don't forget the ones in the back.  Then remove the lid itself by lifting up.

6.  At this point, you can move the carriage assembly to the left towards the center.  To remove the print head assembly, you need to squeeze the tabs and gently remove it.  It may be easier to do it one side at a time.  CAREFULL!  There are 3 ribbons on the back of the print head assembly!  Remove the springs and the ribbons.  NOTE:  The springs are attached big end on the print head assembly, the small ends on the carriage assembly.

NOTE:  The placement of the dark ribbon that goes across the printer and how it is slipped into the back of the print head.  You will get a CARRIAGE JAM ERROR if you do not put it back properly.  The dark ribbon interacts with a sensor on the back of the printhead to determine its placement within the printer.

Do not use alcohol or any amonia based cleaners to clean the print head.  What I did was got a small bowl of hot (not boiling) water and carefully placed the print head in it, just enough to soak the bottom.  DO NOT GET THE SMALL PC BOARD WET!!!!  DO NOT GET WATER ONTO/INTO THE PORTS WHERE THE INK CARTRIDGES GO.  Use a coffe filter to clean the print head after soaking for about 30 seconds.  Change out the water and repeat until you're satisfied.  (I soaked and cleaned twice.) Gently shake the excess water out onto a few paper towels and let it sit for a minute or so.  It should dry quickly. 

Reverse the disassembly order to put the printer back together.  ONCE AGAIN TAKE NOTE:  You will get a "Carriage Jam" Error if you do not place the print head back in with the dark ribbon that goes across the printer BETWEEN the small sensor on the back of the print head.  You can't see the sensor itself.  The best way to describe it it a piece of plastic on the back of the print head, a small gap underneath it, and then another piece.  The ribbon goes in that small gap.  Its a little tough getting it back in.  The easiest way to get the springs back in is to place the print head back into the carriage assembly, then start from the back and stretch it to the front.

I apologize for the wall of text and lack of pictures.  I'm just remembering this from 20 minutes ago

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation