Question

Honor Student
GGCEsq
Message 1 of 13 (2,168 Views)

HP Photosmart 7510 Unable to Auto Duplex as paper is "too short" on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.2

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I originally bought the printer as it was a good choice for  Air Printing with my iPad. (Upon which might I add auto duplex works without issue). Since Buying a MacBook Pro (10.8.2) and installing the new drivers from the HP website the printer is registered as my default printer and connects fine (for scanning and such) but for some unknown reason whenever I try to print the print que icon appears in the bottom tray, quickly followed by a yellow warning triangle. Upon opening said icon, the app. tells me that it is connected to the printer, however it also states that the printer is unable to print auto duplex as the paper is to short. The paper in the tray is standard A4. May I note that the same issue arises trying to print single sided as well as double sided. My other device's have no problem printing to the printer single sided or duplex. The issue is not constrained to one programme either, all programmes by which I try to print state the same problem. 

So far I've removed the printer from my preferences and re-installed it to no avail. I cannot seem to find any other person reporting the issue or any information on the HP website. 

Thank you for reading through my issue,

George. G. Crickmore 

Additional Details:

Printer model: Photosmart 7510 e-All-In-One - C311a

FW Version: VEP1CN1137C9

Serial Number: {Personal Information Removed}

Driver Version: Inkjet4 driver 4.0.1

Product Number: CQ877B

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 2 of 13 (2,153 Views)

HP Photosmart 7510 Unable to Auto Duplex as paper is "too short" on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.2

Hello GGCEsq,
Thank you for the post and the excellent problem description/product details. Perfect! Very strange that this appears to be exclusive to your Pro running 10.8 since your iPad seems to be printing fine. I've included a link below with some fundamental items to check. Since I don't know where this originated from, is A4 the standard paper size? Good Luck!

http://goo.gl/bQXvw

Version 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and 10.7 (Lion)
From your browser's File menu, select Print... .
If you see a button at the bottom of the printer dialog that reads Show Details, click it. This will reveal more settings for your printer.
You'll see a pull-down menu that either says Copies & Pages or has the name of the program you're using (e.g., Safari or Microsoft Word). Click it and choose Layout.
Choose one of the following:
To print two pages per sheet, next to "Pages per Sheet:", select 2.
To print double-sided (i.e., one page on each side, front and back), next to "Two Sided:", select Long-Edge Binding or Short Edge Binding, depending on the orientation you want for your pages. If you're printing two pages per sheet, choosing Short Edge Binding may provide more convenient page turns, but if you're putting the pages in an 8 1/2" x 11" binder, you may prefer Long Edge Binding.
I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Honor Student
GGCEsq
Message 3 of 13 (2,152 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7510 Unable to Auto Duplex as paper is "too short" on a MacBook

Hi stix 4,

Thanks for your response. I've read through your info and can’t seem to find any altercation between my printing procedure and those listed. The exact wording I'm given each attempt to print is as follows:

"Paper too short to auto-duplex. To cancel the print job, press the cancel (X) button on the printer. If you want to use shorter paper, you can manually duplex it by selecting "manual duplex" in your software application, or "print odd pages" and "print even pages" in the print driver."

I've double-checked the paper size and it measures as standard A4. 

The other seemingly odd text I'm given is:

"The Two-Sided option, Long-edge binding, is not available when the destination paper size is set to A4.

To scale to fit to A4 Two-Sided margins, click Continue. To change Two-Sided to its previous setting, click Cancel"

This text box opens when I select the Two-Sided tick box or long/short edge binding selection.

The only other info I can give is what the console error log lists for my printing attempts:

"E [11/Dec/2012:20:33:10 +0000] [Job 38] Unable to queue job for destination "ipp://Georges-MacBook-Pro.local/printers/Photosmart_7510_series__DD3BDC_"."

I hope this new info helps,

George.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 4 of 13 (2,144 Views)

Hello again GGCEsq,
Thank you for the additional information. I've done a little more research on this issue and I have located a previous post that is very similar in nature. Based on those findings, it appears that the system wants to readjust the margin settings based on the duplex request, so the system is smart enough to understand that in order to duplex, the margin settings need to be adjusted to accommodate A4 size paper. I've included the link below to the post which may offer a better explanation.
Thanks ShlomiL!

http://goo.gl/WMr3p
I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Student
allies
Message 5 of 13 (1,966 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7510 Unable to Auto Duplex as paper is "too short" on a MacBook

I'm having the same problem. I've tried to do as you suggested but it doesn't help. I am also not trying to duplex anything. 

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 13 (1,960 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7510 Unable to Auto Duplex as paper is "too short" on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.2

Sounds like you're having issues configuring your printer to use A4 paper with duplexing. First off, I want to be sure that both the program you are using and the printer are properly configured to handle A4 paper. If this is not correct then you may experience that kind of error message. Additionally, just to start off we are going to uninstall the software and reinstall it then try again. Fully remove the software you have installed for the 7510 and then follow the link below and install the full-feature software with the most up-to-date drivers. 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5070121

I hope you have a wonderful and safe weekend, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here! 

-Spencer 
Top Student
Righ
Message 7 of 13 (1,855 Views)

I have the same problem with a 7520 - viz. I'm printing using A4 paper with A4 settings:

HP Error - print setting copy.png

(The error triangle in the printer ID is just low ink).  So far so good - A4 settings and all looks normal (and I have A4 paper loaded).  Then I check the "Two-sided" box, and immediately get this warning:

Dublex page size warning

I previously had a C6100 serives printer with Duplexer and never had any problems with the same paper.   If I click continue, I have in the past (I've only had the printer a few weeks) managed to get duplexed printing to come out.  However, in the past few days, the printer now stops about 50mm into printing on the second page (that is, duplexing is succesfully commenced, but then aborted), and I  get this error (from the Print console):

"Paper too long to auto-duplex. If you want to duplex this size paper, you can manually duplex it by selecting manual duplex in your software application, or print odd pages and print even pages in the print driver."

In portrait mode the printing seems to occur within normal margins, but in landscape, the page seems shifted to the left and the right hand text is incomplete  having run into the margin. 

I take it from the lack of response that your advice above to the previous participants to "just to start off...uninstall and reinstall the software", means that they've probably decided that they don't need duplexing if that's what it takes to fix! 

Could you just provide the proper configuration settings, please, that you promised above, and if these don't work, then we can consider reinstalling.  

Thanks

Printer model: Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer
Model Number CZ045A
Firmware Version ELM1CN1320AR

Top Student
Righ
Message 8 of 13 (1,842 Views)

A bit more testing....

Until now I've been testing this with Preview on my iMac OS X 10.8.3 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM.  I've now replicated the exact some issue with Adobe Professional on a Macbook Pro OS X 10.8.3 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo. 

However, just like others above, I found that Airprint is unaffected - full duplex from any of the family's iOS devices (iPhone 3GS, iPad 2 & iPad3) without any error messages or pauses. 

It therefore seems unlikely to me that this is just a configuration issue.  I checked my Firmware version in the browser (http://10.0.0.xx/#hId-devInfoPage) [...1229CR] against the one on the relevant HP Firmware Update page [...1250AR] and found it out of date. I tried using the HP Firmware Updater program in the Applications/HP/Device Utilities folder on my iMac to update, but it couldn't find the printer.  I then downloaded the Updater fresh from the HP Update webpage linked above, and it worked fine. 

I then printed duplex from the iMac without problems, just like Airprint. 

So, "touch wood" that it stays okay, but I don't think it's a full uninstall/reinstall and configuration change that's required, just a Firmware update and I get to keep my own defaults!  

Model Number CZ045A

Top Student
Righ
Message 9 of 13 (1,830 Views)

Okay, a few more tests, and all seems to work fine.  I needed to actually print one job with the error on my second Mac (the Macbook Pro) before it would pick up the correct print settings, but I didn't need to install anything further.  Airprint continues to work fine.

I must admit that although I've had HP printers for 20 odd years, I have never updated firmware before, and was not aware that I needed to.  In fact, it looks like my previous printer didn't have updatable firmware. Apple Software Update alerts me to keep my HP software up to date automatically, but I'll now have to look out for firmware updates manually, I guess.

Model Number CZ045A

NFF Student
Student
NFF
Message 10 of 13 (1,649 Views)

I've had an identical problem. I followed the guidance but firmware wasn't the problem. In the end I did a cold start which seemed to clear the gremlin. However, in printing email I still get the "duplex not supported for A4" message but it says to clear it press "continue", which I did and it printed A4 double sided. My 7520 is also brand new and I was surprised when it came to find US legal size paper with it. My suspicion is that somehow the US defaults keep kicking in, but that's just a guess. NFF

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation