Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I would first try the easier method of using a Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol on the black ink screen of the printhead.   Just a small amount is necessary to unclog the dried ink, which is the culprit in most cases.   Do not use a lot of isopropyl alcohol, since it might delaminate the print head, but putting a drop or two, won't harm it.  

Once you have put a drop on the black ink screen of the printer head, replace the cartridges, and then run the program to clean the printer head.  Once the printer finishes that task it will print out a test page, and if the problem isn't solved at that point, then repeat the isopropyl application again. 

*** The reason I do not recommend soaking the printhead in hot water for 10 minutes, is it will void your warranty, plus the above solution is much easier to try first, since you do not even have to remove the printhead from the printer.

Good luck and remember, to use small amounts of the isopropyl alcohol on the screen, and then run the HP clean head program and repeat.  If you use more than a small amount, you take a chance of delaminating the printhead. 

HP Recommended

Tried the "soak" method in hot water (Soak printer head in hot water for ten minutes to remove dried ink gunk). It took two "clean printerheads" procedures after that, but it worked! Thanks!

HP Recommended

Nothing mechanically wrong in my case.  The las time it stopped printing black (this has happened more than once), i did NOTHING. Just left it alone.

A couple days later it started working.  Incredibly frustrating.

HP Recommended

HP Photosmart Premium c310 won't print black ink. I put in a brand new cartridge. I did a hard reset several times. I checked vented areas and all is ok. I soaked print cartridge in water for 10 min and a lot of gunk came off but STILL NO LUCK PRINTING BLACK. Anything else I can try. Thanks so much for anyones help! This printer is driving me competely crazy.

HP Recommended

@dcphill wrote:

Swapped black ink cartridge, still no black print.

How do I access the black print head to clean or check out?

HP Recommended

the soak method worked well for me, thanks!   Instead of running "clean cartridges" tool, which uses up a lot of every color, I made some black boxes in a word document and printed it twice, now the black is back. 

HP Recommended
It is printing grey, all other colors are bright
HP Recommended

@MM1668 wrote:
It is printing grey, all other colors are bright

The document here may help resolve black not printing on your Photosmart c310.  If the steps there do not resolve the issue then soaking the printhead as described in the post here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have closed this thread to help keep the comments timely. If you have more to add, please start a new thread. Click here if you want to learn more about how to start a new conversation/thread.

It may also be helpful if you posted a few more details about your computer/printer and your issues.

1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you!"

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.