HP Photosmart C310a will not stop initializing and will not respond to pressing the On/Off switch. (803 Views)
Honor Student
dbWizard
Message 1 of 11 (803 Views)

HP Photosmart C310a will not stop initializing and will not respond to pressing the On/Off switch.

HP Photosmart C310a

Windows XP

Printer will not stop initializing and does not respond to the on/off button.  I have tried disconnecting the power cord, but when I plug the printer back in after 30 minutes or more, the printer goes straight into initializing mode.

It does not respond to any touch screen inputs.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 11 (789 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C310a will not stop initializing and will not respond to pressing the On/Off switc

Is the printer connected directly to a wall outlet or is it connected to a surge protector?

Has ePrint been setup (do not provide the @hpeprint.com address)?
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
dbWizard
Message 3 of 11 (788 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C310a will not stop initializing and will not respond to pressing the On/Off switc

It was plugged into a UPS/surge protector, and ePrint had not been configured.

I unplugged it for 24 hours, and when I plugged it back in, it gave me a message about the device not having been shut down properly (duh), but it is working fine now, where it is plugged directly into a wall outlet.  Have not tried plugging it back into the surge supressor

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 11 (784 Views)

I am glad to hear it is working now.

Printers can act strangely when not connected directly to a wall outlet. The problem is that surge protectors can lose their efficiency over time as they age and this causes the printer not to have enough power to distribute to all of the components.

Let me know if anything changes.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
cak72
Message 5 of 11 (312 Views)

HP Photosmart C310 will not stop initializing and will not respond to pressing the On/Off switch.  Makes no difference whether plugged into wall or surge protector.  Have turned router and printer off and on several times. 

Still not working. 

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 6 of 11 (302 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C310a will not stop initializing and will not respond to pressing the On/Off switch.

Hi cak72,

It sounds like you may have done a Hard Reset, but did you do it in the same order as the following link?  Click Here

Can you estimate the ink levels, in percent full for each cartridge?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Honor Student
cak72
Message 7 of 11 (297 Views)

I followed Hard Reset directions exactly.  Still not able to power printer.  Just keeps initializing.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 8 of 11 (294 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C310a will not stop initializing and will not respond to pressing the On/Off switch.

Can you estimate the ink levels, in percent full for each cartridge?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Honor Student
cak72
Message 9 of 11 (293 Views)

Since printer will not respond or turn on, I cannot even open the ink cartridge area. 

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 10 of 11 (287 Views)

You might try the Hard Reset again and when you plug it in back to the power source, use a different working outlet in a different room.  This can help sometimes. 

One thing you can try so you can make sure that the ink cartridges are inserted correctly  is when you plug in the printer and you start hearing movement in the printer, you can unplug the power cord.  If the carriage has moved over to the middle, you can reseat the ink cartridges. 

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation