Question

Honor Student
erlewis
Message 1 of 4 (608 Views)

HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One Printer won't print black ink in Photo mode

A brand new black HP 92 ink cartridge prints well in plain paper modes but no black appears when printing in Photo mode.  As far as I can determine the differentiating factor is the photo mode though in this mode I've been trying to print on HP Everyday Photo Glossy.   Normal paper is not a paper selection option in Photo Mode.

The colors including black render well in non-photo modes that I have tested including: normal and presentation.

I don't see how this can be a cartridge issue.  I've never before tried to print in photo mode on this printer though I've had the printer in new condition for some time.  I am running this in Windows 8 64-bit.  So far as I know the upgradeable software is up-to-date.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 4 (572 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One Printer won't print black ink in Photo mode

I couldn't help but notice that this printer supports HP Photo Black 99 ink cartridges which may hint to why you can not print black on photos.  I had to do a lot of research to confirm this and I could not find anything specific, even in the User Guide.  I did find a forum post concerning your printer and Photo 99 ink as well.  I have yet to conclude this but I would think the reason you can not print black in photo mode is because you need this type of ink.

I suggest checking your ink levels to make sure you are not having problems with your black ink.  According to the very little bit of information I could find, nobody has ever asked this question. nothing is mentioned concerning "photo mode" and therefor I must confess I have never seen this type of Photo Black but it specifically lists your printer as a compatible one.  

Here are instructions on how to print a test page and decipher print quality issues and here is a video to help you install the photo ink cartridge.

Otherwise, what kind of software are you printing from (PhotoShop, Windows Photo Viewer, etc)?  I suggest trying photo black in the printer and seeing if that helps first. Since it appears your black ink is in fact printing under normal modes, the ink cartridge is the only thing I could find on this. I hope this helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
erlewis
Message 3 of 4 (570 Views)

Thanks for your help.  Since I posted this it did occur to me that I was printing in "Photo" mode when the black failed to print but I didn't have a "photo" 99 cartridge loaded.

Now I suspect that in this mode the printer assumes that the special photo cartridge 99 is loaded.  So it assumes that black ink is addressed differently in that mode because black is just on of three colors in this special photo quality cartridge.

Black printing works fine in the lower quality modes.

I've done a lot of assumption here because the owner's manual does not address this topic.

Too bad the printer software does not issue a warning that photo mode will not work without the photo quality cartridge loaded.  I have not verified this by purchasing a 99 cartridge for testing.  I took the print job to OfficeMax instead.  I think I am just about done with inkjet printing.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 4 (563 Views)

I can actually relate as I had a hard time finding any information at all about HP Photo Black 99 even though that was essentially the first assumption I had. I read your user manual from top to bottom and did not find anything that mentioned that either.  Good luck in your search for a good LaserJet printer that serves your purposes.  I am happy that you have already looked into that as well but let me know if I can continue to help you in any way.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation