Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Didn't work.  Tried it a couple of times to be sure. Now what?

HP Recommended
@ blackjackjoe21 - You can also try manually cleaning the contacts on the cartridges and in the printer to ensure that build up on those parts are not cause for the issue. Here is a link to the user manual. Page 163 outlines the process to clean the contacts on the cartridges. Look inside the machine to see where to contacts that line up with the ones on the cartridges are and use the same materials and process to clean them as well. If still getting the error message. you can try a partial reset to the machine, This will affect some user settings. Her e is a list of affected settings that will be cleared:
- All user menu settings to default
- All telephony parameter values to default
- Initiate select country and language UI
- Clear fax memory

Here is a link to do a partial reset, it is a general guide. The first reset listed where one presses the "3" and "#" buttons on the printers keypad in the listed instructions in the above link is the one that you will need to use. If after that reset you are still having the issue, one would be looking at product replacement.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

I did as stated here and this printer C7280 lite up light a christmas...and now improper shutdown.

now says carriage jam...makes a terrible sound when it does reset...all new inks everything done and still doesn't work

also this turns itself on at night and all lights flash....throw out and get new???

HP Recommended
@KLMalandrino- The improper shutdown message usually occurs when that hard reset is performed. If the ink system failure has cleared and one is now getting a carriage Jam one would need to troubleshoot that error. Here is a link to a document that addresses the carriage jam error for you printer. It you complete this document and the printer is switching back and forth between the error messages and the issue is not fixed, one would then be looking at product replacement. One can look into the HP Upgrade program. That is where one can get reconditioned unit at a discounted price. The number to call into HP Total Care if one wanted to look into that option is 800-474-6836 for US and Canada customers.
HP Recommended

I never completely got rid of the error message.  So I would turn it off and ONLY turn it on when I needed to print something.  It would start up, print out my documents just fine, then within about 10 minutes I would get the error message again so I would just turn it off.  Finally got tired of that and contacted HP and got a replacement Office Jet Pro 8600 Premium at a reduced price.  They took good care of me and the printer is working great.  The old one is awaiting my decision to recycle or maybe launch into space.  I'm thinking let some alien figure out what to do with it.

HP Recommended
went through everything. now lets hope it is all good. I did find a small piece of tape on the back inside when I took off the back. Lets hope that was all it was. I will keep my fingers crossed. really is a great printer and if it needs replacing Yes I will get another HP : ) thank you all.
HP Recommended
@KLMalandrino- Has it been working properly for you over the past two days? If it is still giving the issue and not functioning one can do as blackjackjoe21 and participate in the upgrade program as the the ink system failure is a hardware issue. I wanted to check in on you.
HP Recommended
it's been working great. seems like the hard reboot and finding that piece of tape stuck to inside has done the trick. keeping fingers crossed still but so far thumbs up to you all for your help : )
HP Recommended

problems started after recent powerl failures.  "ink system failure" and one other error message which I can't recall.  Reinstall printer software?  Reset the printer?  Help!

HP Recommended

@lynnej

When your printer gets an alphanumeric code error it usually means that you have a hardware issue.  I am including a document that may assist.

Alphanumeric Code

Let me know how it goes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.