Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My HP Photosmart Premium C309g (CD055A) will not print black ink even though the ink cartridge is full. It goes through the motions of printing, but the pages come out blank. It prints colors, they are not as dark as before so I know the black is not working. I have cleaned the print heads, turned off the printer, unplugged the printer, restarted the computer but nothing works. I get colors on the print quality report but the printer status report comes out blank. I bought a new black ink cartridge (564XL) thinking the previous one was defective (ink levels showed that one to be at 75%) but I'm still having the same problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey,

I see you have done quite a bit of troubleshooting on the print quality issue you are experiencing.  I would make sure you have performed all the troubleshooting steps available for your issue by looking in the document linked below.

Printed Colors Are Not the Colors Expected when printing from the C309 Photosmart Premium.

If you have performed all these steps, then I would check the warranty status of your printer.  If it is out of warranty, then you may consider the solution provided by Bob_Headrick in the thread found here.

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue with my HP 3520 all in one.

HP Recommended
I am having the same problem with my C309a all-in-one
HP Recommended

Hey,

I see you have done quite a bit of troubleshooting on the print quality issue you are experiencing.  I would make sure you have performed all the troubleshooting steps available for your issue by looking in the document linked below.

Printed Colors Are Not the Colors Expected when printing from the C309 Photosmart Premium.

If you have performed all these steps, then I would check the warranty status of your printer.  If it is out of warranty, then you may consider the solution provided by Bob_Headrick in the thread found here.

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@ShawnaJ1

I see you have a print quality issue with your Deskjet 3520.  Please make sure all troubleshooting steps have been performed in the document linked below.  

Troubleshooting Print Quality Issues

Also, do you know if this printer is in warranty still?  To check the warranty status click the following link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/weInput?cc=us&lc=en

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Jason,

I removed the printhead assembly like Bob suggested in his thread and there were gobs of ink all around it. I cleaned it off and it prints black now. Thanks for your help with this issue, and thanks to Bob too!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update on your print quality issue.  I am glad that you got the issue fixed and are back printing again!

Happy Printing,

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

How do remove the print head in a Photosmart c309g?

JPM

HP Recommended

Hi jpm3438,

I see that you're trying to remove the printhead on your printer.  Take a look at the video posted below.

Printhead Removal

Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the exact problem where my 564XL cartridge is no longer printing.  I've done enough clean cycles to dang near drain a couple almost-full cartridges, I have removed and cleaned and replaced the print head assembly, per directions found at this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/HP-6500-Office-jet-E709a-Black-pri... and it is still not working.  I'm hoping to NOT have to scrap the printer and I still have one 4-pack of cartridges (with 3 colors and black XL) unopened that I can return IF I do not open it...so I am hoping to get this resolved soon, as this is a home-business printer.  Thanks for any suggestions!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.