HP Printer Assistant Script Error - Officejet 4620
Replies (13)

Top Student
kmar
Message 11 of 14 (580 Views)

Re: HP Printer Assistant Script Error - Officejet 4620

pcwizard wrote:

Hi kmar,

If you have applied the patch for the issue on this thread, and you are still having issue this would indicate there is an issue in the operating system on your computer. Have you considered backing up your data, and then run a full system recovery on the computer which will place the computer back to the way it was when you first purchased the computer?

Hi pcwizard,
I tried a lighter hammer than that and solved the problem. Uninstall internet explorer 8, run the fix-it in method A in the following link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220#MethodA, re-install internet explorer 8.

This is applicable to Windows XP, because IE8 was an update. The uninstall results in a fall-back to IE6

The fix-it was required for the re-install to be successful. It resets security to defaults on Internet Explorer files (not to be confused security settings in internet settings, which it do not change). Security presumably had been raised by a security program as an anti-virus/malware measure. Given this, the fix-it might actually be the solution, which might make it applicable stand-alone and to later versions of the OS. I cannot test this.

(N.B. During the re-install, all anti-virus shields, incuding its self-defence, were off and its start-up service was off (unchecked in run --> msconfig -->start-up) to prevent the anti-virus from interfering.

HP's code was not faulty. However, it did not run on a supported system. The same problem was observed by this community under all supported versions of windows and with several models of printer. The patch offered by HP frequently fails to help. I hope this post helps some users to run the Printer Assistant. I hope it also helps HP or the community to develop an improved responce, and the former to correct the problem at root.

Good code that does not run will not be perceived as good.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 12 of 14 (574 Views)

Hi kmar,

Thank you for the update, and great feedback on the issues you were facing on the operating system. I am glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
kmar
Message 13 of 14 (476 Views)

After several months of printer assistant working, scripting errors returned. Specifically, I began getting the second of the errors observed by AtlanticJim, line 2526 char 13 "automation server can't creat object".  This error appeared alone and was not the same as the second error I previously was getting (which involved calls to .json files).

This time the problem was caused by an incorrect registration. Specifically, wshom.ocx was registered as being in a subfolder of system32 instead of directly in system32. So running regsvr32 windows\system32\wshom.ocxat a command prompt fixed the problem. This file is required to create activeX wscript.shell objects.

Performing a find in the registry, searching for wscript as a value identified the problem and the culprit. Several wscript related CLSID in the HKCR had InProcServer32\(Default) with the value c:\windows\system32\[subfoldername]\wshom.ocx. Subfoldername identified a software package that had registered its own wshom.ocx and not re-registered the original when I removed the software package.

Student
Liesa
Message 14 of 14 (395 Views)

I am having the same problem, but with deskjet 3050.  The sclitefix file is downloaded, but doesn't appear to execute.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation